Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have installed back up cameras, where did you get the signal to tell the head unit that the truck was in reverse? Did you run a wire all the way from the taillight, or does someone know which wire to tap into under the dash?

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts
There is a signal wire (usually purple) out the back of the head unit. You have to run this to the positive wire of your reverse light for easiest install

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah locating it on the head unit isn't an issue, I'm just trying to avoid running a wire all the way back, to the taillight, just to tell the head unit I'm in reverse. I'm hoping someone will chime in and help me locate one under the dash.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nevermind, I said to hell with it and tapped into the wire to the reverse light in the harness on the frame rail under the drivers door.

·
Member's Technical crew
12,060 Posts
mind taking a pic of that wire? I am planning on doing this same thing soon adn don't really wanna run the wire all the way to the back either lol.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I can get you a pic tomorrow, but if I remember correctly there are only two green wires in the harness a dark green and a light green. The light green is the positive feed to the reverse lights, just pull a taillight and match up the colors is all I did.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the GMRC-01, so I guess this was my best option then, but thanks. Maybe the info will help someone else.

·
Super Moderator
13,692 Posts
How To: hook-up the reverse wire that works with the backup camera feature.

Step 1.) On the driver's side fender under the battery, there is a plug that has several different colored wires running from it.

Step 2.) There are 3 green wires going into it, you want the light green one. (the other two are more of a dark green/forest green color).

Step 3.) Use a tap-in the exact same way as the pink/navigation wire went into the speed sensor wire. So in this case it would be the tapping into the lightest green wire with the purple/white wire.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the same wire I used, I just caught it under the cab, where the harness runs to the back, instead of running a wire all the way up under the hood or to the tail light.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here ya go Banditz, pics of where I ran the wire and where I tapped into for signal to the head unit. There is actually 2 dark green wires and a light green wire in the harness, the light green is the positive switch to the reverse lights.

Attachments

·
Member's Technical crew
12,060 Posts
Sweetness man, thanks!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
i just hooked up a Clarion double din with the GMOS-01 and I hooked the reverse wire from the radio to the wire in the GMOS-01 that it told me to, however when i put the truck in reverse, the radio dimmed. I also noticed that i did not have a parking brake wire, but i had an EXTRA white wire with black strip labeled negative speaker-and it wasnt anywhere near the speaker wires. Now i'm assuming this is just a mis-wire from the factory and that it in fact is for something else, however i didnt feel like figuring it out at the time haha. I dont have a back up camera yet, but i plan on putting one on the bumper between the plate and the spare tire hole, so that is something i'd like to fix.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
With my head unit I had to go into the setup and select camera for RGB and then under camera I had to tell it what I wanted for the signal I.E. Battery, Ground, or Power. Then it worked fine.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I tied the camera into the license plate light and the monitor into the radio power. I wanted my camera on when my lights are on. Will be moving the camera to the back of the cab soon so will do probably hook it up to a switch under the dash soon so I can turn it on and of when I want.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was planning on tying the camera power to the RAP circuit from the GMOS-01 harness. The extra red wire can become useful after all....that way when the truck kicks into reverse, the radio will automatically show the image, however if for some reason, i feel the urge to double check my load in the trailer, at any given time, i can just hit the camera button on the radio and the camera is already on

1 - 18 of 18 Posts