Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where to get the brightest bulb for the back up lights? I have seen a couple with LED's too. If you have LEDs where did you get them from and what model number.

Looking for either regular bulbs or LED's!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
3157s are the led bulds i got..

from

http://superlumination.com/3157_3156.htm

its the wedge 32 led u have seen how bright they are.. i need brighter though.. i can't see with the damn tints when backing up

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Im thinking of going super ricer and throwing some cool blue bulbs in there :)

and to keep my post on topic i'd suggest the TYC taillights... I can see how im backing up through my sideviews even with 5% tint because they are so damn bright and since i've got an auto i just lightly ride the brakes when i really need that light back there.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info ZNA!!!! I wanted to keep the cost down a little. If I could. Time to going searching for the TYC's

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Ya know you could always hook up a set of foglights in the back on a switch or tap the reverse lights.

·
Batman
5,649 Posts
I know, it's am old post, but this is the exact project I want to do this weekend.

How do I tap into the reverse lights? Can I just steal power from them, or do I still have to run the leads to the battery? Does this mean I don't have to cut in the dash to install the switch?
I saw some guys running Piaa 1500 lights and I got the idea, but Piaa is kinda spendy, for a light that is going to be on for maybe 30 seconds a trip. So I cheaped out and went to Walmart and got some cheap, small fog lights.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
yah i was wonderin what th ewebsite was people always go to. now i know superlumination! I ride my brakelights a lil when i have trouble seeing but i always wanted to get brighter bulbs, hyper whites or sumthin

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I know, it's am old post, but this is the exact project I want to do this weekend.

How do I tap into the reverse lights? Can I just steal power from them, or do I still have to run the leads to the battery? Does this mean I don't have to cut in the dash to install the switch?
I saw some guys running Piaa 1500 lights and I got the idea, but Piaa is kinda spendy, for a light that is going to be on for maybe 30 seconds a trip. So I cheaped out and went to Walmart and got some cheap, small fog lights.
Its easy, Just pull out a turn signal, and the wire is right there... you can run it down w/o any problem.

·
Batman
5,649 Posts
turn signal? I want it hooked up to the backup lights not the blinker.
I pulled off a taillight last night and there are two black and one green going to the white backup bulb.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
well I ment the whole housing... forgive me, I think things better in my head, you just need to remove the taillight housing... two philips screws.

I did this very mod

when I shifted all my turn signals around.

You want the Green, the tail lights are daisy chain grounded..

Green is the reverse +

and splice into the black for a ground

·
Batman
5,649 Posts
so that's all I need to do is, positive to green and ground to one of the black wires? That is great, almost seems too easy. i can throw away most of the wiring harness? Great. I don't have to run any wires to the front? And they will come on ever time I put it in reverse,great.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
so that's all I need to do is, positive to green and ground to one of the black wires? That is great, almost seems too easy. i can throw away most of the wiring harness? Great. I don't have to run any wires to the front? And they will come on ever time I put it in reverse,great.
yup no wires to the front.

·
Batman
5,649 Posts
man that was easy, thanks for all the help. Now I just have to wait till it gets dark to see how good they work.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I ran wires to the front and used the backup wire as the signal for a relay. This let me run 200 watts ( I'll be putting another 200 watts soon ) on the back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts