Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used my truck yesterday, came home, unloaded the trailer, and left the trailer connected to the truck last night. Nothing unusual yesterday.

I remote start the truck, walk outside, and see that my reverse lights are on... Now that is odd. Freak out for a second and think I somehow left the truck in reverse last night but I then realized the keys are in my hand!

I open the door and notice that the reverse camera is showing in my rear view mirror (only powered on with the reverse signal). Put the keys in the ignition and still on. Turn the truck off and the mirror and reverse lights are still on. Then I unplug the trailer plug from the truck and the reverse lights and camera are off.

Start the truck with the trailer unplugged and all is normal. Plug the trailer back in and reverse lights and camera are on (I was in park throughout all of this).

Now I did drive through rain throughout the day yesterday but I know for a fact the reverse lights weren't on, you just notice stuff like that.

Trailer is parked right now and I plan on connecting to it tomorrow morning to see if the problem persists.

This is the second 'odd' incident with a trailer plugged in. Last one was a year ago and I thought that one to be melted ice that was on the plug.

Anyone have anything similar?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
8,889 Posts
Inspect the trailer 7 way connector. The center pin in the reverse signal.
It's possible that the set screw that holds the wire is loose or debris and shorting to one of the outer pins.

Do a continuity test between the center pin and the outer pins and you'll find your short.
My guess is center to pin 4.

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
Sounds like it's most likely something with the trailer wiring. Check the wires at the connector first as suggested. If that looks okay, then keep tracing the harness across the trailer. It's got to be a short somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I completely spaced and forgot that the 7 pin had a reverse pin.

That's enough info for me to find the short, and I too think it's from constant power to reverse circuit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts