Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright this is going to be a quick thread since I am running to the gym in a minute:

My right tail light is having some problems. First of all, the top light does not work at all. Second, the middle light only comes on when I use the right turn signal. But, the reverse light works fine. The license plate light also is nonfunctional.

Did something short out? Is it possible a fuse needs to be replaced or am I doomed to taking my truck to the dealership.

I should mention I clipped my license plate wires some time ago when I got the roll pan, but they have been working up until now.

Help please!!!!!! :355group:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
So you have no running lights?

I only had stock tails for like a month, so I don't remember exactly how they're setup.

But isn't the middle light the turn signal?

I'd start off by changing the bulbs.

Just pop 'em out of the left housing and see if they work in the right.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Check the fuses. Top light is brake, middle turn, bottom backup. Both top and middle are running lights. You may have a burnt out filament or a bad fuse.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you have no running lights?

I only had stock tails for like a month, so I don't remember exactly how they're setup.

But isn't the middle light the turn signal?

I'd start off by changing the bulbs.

Just pop 'em out of the left housing and see if they work in the right.
Alright I'll try that :D

Check the fuses. Top light is brake, middle turn, bottom backup. Both top and middle are running lights. You may have a burnt out filament or a bad fuse.
I've never had to change a fuse, is the diagram on the inside of the fuse box cover? Or is there a diagram somewhere for our trucks? Thanks

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slight update, the top light works when I step on the brake as does the turn signal on the middle. There is definitely a connection between the license plate light and the "running" lights on the top and middle. So that means that the filament is bad on the top and middle light, or the fuse is bad for the "running" lights. Hmmmm

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
It's a fuse. I don't remember which one though.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bad news, tried new bulbs and the top & middle running lights on the right tail light still don't work. However, the brake light on the top and signal light in the middle still work. I also checked the fuse, looks A okay. Ugh, I really do not want to take it in for this especially with my lacerated license plate harness. Guess I'll have to put everything back together and maybe check the fuse one more time :(

There must be wiring that only controls the license plate light and the daytime runners on the right tail light, because everything works perfectly on the left side.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No It Shouldnt Really Be A Big Deal Just Check Your Wiring And Make Sure Everything Is In Order And That No Wires Are Chaffed,grounded,etc.

I Dont Know If You Guys Knew I Am In Gm Service I Can Help Out Or Find Out
Alot Of Helpful Hints

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No It Shouldnt Really Be A Big Deal Just Check Your Wiring And Make Sure Everything Is In Order And That No Wires Are Chaffed,grounded,etc.

I Dont Know If You Guys Knew I Am In Gm Service I Can Help Out Or Find Out
Alot Of Helpful Hints
Well I checked all the wiring and everything seems to be in check. I also checked the fuse which seems to be fine. I made an appointment to take it in tomorrow morning, I guess they'll take care of it.

Thanks KDUBBIN and everyone else, your help is much appreciated :355group:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For those interested, I got my truck back today and the information slip said "bad connector contact" and they replaced it fairly quickly. Thanks for the help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts