Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gettin ready to spray my extra set of rims, but have come to a fork in the road that I'm not sure which path to take....

Option 1

Duplicolor Wheel paint.

pros- Cheap. Easier of the 2 methods. If I don't clear over it, super easy touch up. Brewers testimony is reasuring.

cons- Not sold on the semi finish yet. I mean, I like it but I'd kind of like to have glossy rims. Limited to their color choices. Thought I had more but can't think of them!

Option 2

Spray them with Base/Clear at Work.

pros- Infinate color choice, although I'd stick to darker colors. (we had a Lexus SC430 in yesterday with a BADASS silverish/bronze color on it's rims) I'd clear them so I'd have my glossy finish. Could do it farely cheap since I work at a body shop.

cons- More detailed steps. ( etch bare metal, sealer with flex, base with flex, clear with flex, etc...just makes the material more durable) Even after talking with our paint rep, still not sold on the durability of having regular automotive clear on rims. How does it hold up to salt? wheel cleaners? brake dust? And even though I could go this route alot cheaper than others could, it will more than likely still be more than just buying 3-4 rattle cans.

I'm kind of leaning to doing this at work but the only thing holding me back is how the clear will hold up. The paint rep was kind of eh with his answers. I don't want to go through all of that just to have them turn to shit in a few months......

Help me out here fellas.....

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn.......over 12 hours and no replies!?:cry:

I'll bump this up to the top of the new posts list.....:D

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I say do a custom color hat hasnt been done before, but would look awesome on your truck.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I say do it at your work...mix up something real sweet that no one else has. If you wash your truck a lot I dont think the clear would be a problem? Although my sister has a cobalt ss with the gunmetal wheels on it...the clear started chipping off of them after about 15000 miles..but she doesnt take care of her car. The only time it gets washed is when I make her come over for me to wash it for her.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I wash usually wash mine once a week but I don't really take extra care of the rims like I should. I just hit the car wash. Pre-soak, High pressure soap, rinse, spray wax, rinse and dry. Makes the truck look good, but doesn't get the rims their cleanest. I guess If I go that route, I'll have to take more care of them to make them last.

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
I wonder what zq8 rims would look like chromed, I have been tossing around that idea for a while. I want chrome wheels but cant find any on a not so huge budget. I think you should put some kind of darker silver with alot of metallic in them. not charcoal just darker than stock.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think chrome would look killer!

And that's the beauty of spraying them at work, I can pick any color, even if it's a body color, not necessarily a Rim or Accent color...

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exacty the color I want! Like a Black Chrome. I know you can achieve that with Powdercoating, but I dunno with regular paint. I'm gonna have to dig around and see what I can find. Maybe I can find the stuff they used...

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
That's exacty the color I want! Like a Black Chrome. I know you can achieve that with Powdercoating, but I dunno with regular paint. I'm gonna have to dig around and see what I can find. Maybe I can find the stuff they used...
if you are able to find a regular type chrome paint let me know!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
HOK makes a chrome paint thay said it supposed to be used for accents and air brush but I would imagine it could be used to do wheels.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did some searchin on Google and came across a few options, but they're CRAZY expensive! Like a few hundred bucks for the stuff...:econo:

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
I did some searchin on Google and came across a few options, but they're CRAZY expensive! Like a few hundred bucks for the stuff...:econo:
I did too, yeah expensive but I have heard chrome powder coating has came a long way. Wonder how much that would be? How much like chrome would it look like?

could be an option.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, I've been meaning to search for PC'ers in the area. We use this one company at work. They fix and sell reconditioned rims. I had the parts guy ask them about mine. They said they could do Black Chrome and even machine the edge to leave it Polished, but for $100 a rim and they couldn't even do anything with the center caps....I passed.

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
100 dollars per rim to powdercoat and put a polished rim on? that would look sweet and not a horrible price if it would look one off awesome. You will have more pc'ers in your area than I would, if you find someone shoot me a pm cause it is only a 1.75 hour drive for me to get there.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea, but i wasn't looking to spend $400 on these. More like way less than $100 for all 4! But if I were to find a PC'er with a decent price, I'd pay it.

I'll let you know what I find....

·
Registered
893 Posts
But what are you going to do with the center cap??

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a question I had for the PC'ers. If I paint them, it won't be a problem, no matter which method I choose.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I hear ya!! I'm interested in the PC version!! I've already ran the gammot on the Chrome option with no positive outcome!!!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts