Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Project #1: Roof Rack

I've wanted a roof rack on on my truck for a while now to carry around my kayaks. I couldn't afford (nor did I like the look of) a Lund roof rack and I've had bad experiences with the cheap tie down ones.

What I ended up doing was modifying an old bolt-on universal rack that I never got around to installing on my old S-10's camper shell. With the exposed metal from trimming the side bars down and how beat up everything else was, I repainted the whole thing. (if you couldn't tell it was my first time using a real compressor and air gun)

Project #1.5: Also added a shark fin antenna to replace the stock one, and cover up a dent from a big hail stone.

Project #2: Overhead Console

Originally I missed having map lights in my mirror like on my old S-10 and wanted to get a new mirror for my Colorado. Then my dome light fell down and I found out that the dealer had "fixed" it with some masking tape. Then I found out (from this site) that I could put one of these in my truck instead!

Because I have the "power convenience package" and a regular mirror, there was an unused 7-pin connector tucked up the headliner. I used this to my advantage and rewired the console a little bit so the eyeball lights could be turned on independently or when the dome was turned on. (meaning all five lights come on when I open the door) I also got the Homelink up and running. I even got the little button lights to come on with the dash lights.

I didn't bother getting the little computer in the console working, because what can it do that my phone can't? Instead I removed it and filled in the face plate so I could put in front and rear USB power ports.

Two in the rear

...and one port in the front, along with a cable to power my phone and a switch to turn the USB ports off.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Both projects look awesome - great enhancements to your ride...very functional too!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
Great work, especially if that was your first time with a compressor and airgun

·
Ride, Boldly, Ride
551 Posts
Man, great idea on the console! I have one sitting in my shed back home, and was coming up with different ideas to put in the face plate, this one looks really clean! How easy was it to connect to the 7 pin connector? I have the same wiring setup

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It depends on how complicated you want to get. If you just want to get the lights to come on you only need the orange and black wires (12V constant and ground). If your colors are different you can easily figure out which is which with a voltmeter. Getting the computer to come on (and actually do something) is a lot harder. It's part of the reason I didn't bother with it and put the USB in instead. If you want the lights to work like mine you're going to need to wire in some extra 1amp diodes for each of the reading lights on the console. I can try to put together a write up if you want.

·
Ride, Boldly, Ride
551 Posts
If you want the lights to work like mine you're going to need to wire in some extra 1amp diodes for each of the reading lights on the console. I can try to put together a write up if you want.
Never wired a diode. I'm sure there are how-to's I could find, but if you get bored or have been meaning to submit a write-up to the nation, I would definitely use it if you did. I'm sure other people who want to install similar overhead consoles would love it to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts