Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Rotted Frame - Heads Up

92K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  Jeepboy 
#1 ·
Hey All,

My '04 is hopefully getting an extended life by having new steel welded into the driver's side frame where the leaf spring attaches on the driver's side. The welder stated that Colorados/Canyons tend to rust out on the driver's side and he's repaired a number of them. $900 seems a good deal considering the option of junking it out, especially when the rest of the truck is in good condition.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Ugh. That's really nasty.

I suspect the fully-boxed frame retains crud in places that're gonna rot eventually. Probably would no matter the factory corrosion-protection treatment applied.

On these little trucks though, I doubt GM went all out to apply the best/latest state-of-the-art (for 2004) to the frame anti-corrosion treatment.
I'm sure they didn't bother to electrocoat it.
Probably just hit it with no-primer cheapo paint.

#3 ·
My '05 Colorado still looks lovely underneath.
That chit they put on your roads up there really takes a toll. I just got back from a trip to Ohio, and was appalled at all the rusted out trucks I saw up there - One in particular was a 1994 Silverado, bed, fenders, rear end, all rusted out to hell. I recently parted (Sadly) with a 1990 Silverado that was immaculate compared to that '94 I saw.
Sorry to hear about your truck frame.

#5 ·
I think if not treated that will happen eventually. I remember when I moved to Kansas from Michigan years ago that it surprised me how few had the rust that they had up north. When I was buying my new to me Equinox last December, the dealer couldn't figure out why I bought a 2016 from southern Texas and not one with 10,000 less miles from Michigan. 3 years in the rust belt vs no years in the rust belt.....

#6 ·
My '05 was in the northeast and upper midwest most of the 13 winters I drove it. The frame looked near pristine when I sold it about 18 months ago. There was light surface-rust over the entire chassis and undercarriage, but the otherwise the frame looked fine.

#8 ·
Before I sold my '06, the undercarriage was in great shape, but I use this thing called a "car wash" in the winter...;) :D

Need to get that road crap off ASAP, even in cold weather.

#14 ·
So many trucks get parted out here in NY over rotted frames. Truck fails inspection due to frame, you take it off the road then part it out. Usually throw away the body and sell interior and powertrain parts. Just the life cycle of trucks it seems.

#15 · (Edited)
Hey, dude. Frankly speaking, it's a good solution of your problem. $900 is a bit expensive, I think, but it doesn't matter, if the work is done well. I write it, because I'm the welder too. I want to share with you some thoughts about my profession. A lot of people think, that welder is an easy profession and even everyone can deal with it, if he wants, but it isn't the true. Do you know how much the good helmet costs? I use the custom welding helmets for making the work for a great welding outcome. So, respect our profession, guys, and don't speak anything before you won't test it on yourself. Good luck.

#17 ·
Hey All,

My '04 is hopefully getting an extended life by having new steel welded into the driver's side frame where the leaf spring attaches on the driver's side. The welder stated that Colorados/Canyons tend to rust out on the driver's side and he's repaired a number of them. $900 seems a good deal considering the option of junking it out, especially when the rest of the truck is in good condition.

Attachments

#26 ·
I had the frame galvanized, then I primed it with water Bourne primer and painted the whole frame, springs, differential with Imron 99U gloss black urethane paint! No more rust on this truck forever!
Plant Wheel Tire Tree Road surface

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.