Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am in the process of looking at lifting my truck. I came across these two and I am wondering if you can combine them to get 5.5" of lift or if I am just an idiot for thinking this was possible.

Any insight on which one to do first? I'm guessing the rough country, but I could easily be wrong. Truck is an 04 crew cab 3.5L Z71.

The links are here for reference:
2.5in Suspension Lift Kit for Chevy Colorado / GMC Canyon / Hummer H3 [920] | Rough Country Suspension Systems

Lift Kits & Accessories - 3 Inch Body Lift Kit By Performance Accessories

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Yes you can combine a body lift with a suspension lift. Doesn't really matter but I would do the suspension lift first. It will give you a couple of more inches of room under the truck when installing the body lift

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Those products do not relate to one another, so yes you can do them both.

The Rough Country is nothing more than a shackle and a few spacers to allow a little extra lift from the front suspension over the limitations of the stock key.

Install the Rough Country first. Then you can measure the lift to not exceed the maximum. You should measure from the center of your hub to the bottom lip of the front fender. Stay around 24"...you can go to 24.5, but the ride and control go away. Even at 24", the control is compromised and the ride is pretty harsh. After you get the suspension set, and settled get an alignment.

Then go ahead and do your body lift.

Read up on body lifts. There are a few things that you need to do. I have never done a body lift so I may be incorrect. But I believe you need to reposition the fan shroud as the body lifts, but the radiator fan does not. Also the steering stem needs to be lengthened. All of the hardware should be included in the kid though.
And finally, if the large gaps between the bumper and the body bother you then look into gap guards (if they don't come included). The bumpers won't move with a body lift as they are mounted to the frame.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
P.A. 3" body lift kits come with the brackets necessary to move the bumpers up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those products do not relate to one another, so yes you can do them both.

The Rough Country is nothing more than a shackle and a few spacers to allow a little extra lift from the front suspension over the limitations of the stock key.

Install the Rough Country first. Then you can measure the lift to not exceed the maximum. You should measure from the center of your hub to the bottom lip of the front fender. Stay around 24"...you can go to 24.5, but the ride and control go away. Even at 24", the control is compromised and the ride is pretty harsh. After you get the suspension set, and settled get an alignment.

Then go ahead and do your body lift.

Would it be okay to get an alignment after i put both on? (assuming I put both on in a weekend without driving it in between) Or would I need to put the rough country on, get alignment then put the body lift on?

·
How d'ya like them apples
941 Posts
Would it be okay to get an alignment after i put both on? (assuming I put both on in a weekend without driving it in between) Or would I need to put the rough country on, get alignment then put the body lift on?
Body lift doesn't effect your alignment

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Right, the body lift is only lifting the body off the chassis. Nothing to do with your suspension or anything like that at all.

You can drive around on a misalignmed front end for a while but if you can't get an alignment soon after suspension work then hold off on the work. You'll chew up your tires otherwise.

My suggested procedure is to crank the front to the desired height (within specifications), drive it for a minute. Adjust as necessary as it will sag when you drive. Drive normally for a day or two and check for settlement and adjust once again as necessary. It will likely sag on one side or the other. You should be level side to side when complete. Then take it in for an alignment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts