Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I'm new to here and kinda new to the truck scene. I have a 2005 gmc canyon i4..:( but anyways i bought the rough country 2.5" lift. my dad took it to his friends shop to get it on, and they said that they couldn't install the shock spacers because my stock shocks weren't long enough. now it my front wheels are cambered in and it looks like my control arms are in a very steep pitch, is this because i don't have longer shocks with the spacers installed?? also does anyone have any suggestions on good shocks i should get?

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Did you get an alignment? If not then you need to get it done ASAP. You have done a torsion bar lift which puts the control arms at more of an angle... the upper control arm is shorter than the lower control arm which is causing the off camber you are seeing. If you are lifted too much with the torsion bars then alignment becomes difficult to impossible.

This has nothing to do with shock length.

If you are looking for longer front shocks then bilstein and rancho are the popular brands guys usually choose.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i haven't got an alignment yet, i will get it done. should i get the shock spacers installed?? i measured from the center of my hub to the fender and I'm at about 23.5 inches, i heard ppl say to not go past 24 inches

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
You can install the spacers if you want too. Stock shocks are crap in my opinion I would just replace with Slightly longer ones especially if you some miles on the current ones.

Correct you don't want to exceed 24". IF it doesn't align within spec then the upper ball joint flip will need to be done

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
what exactly will the spacers do? and yeah the shocks have a good bit of miles on them so i will deff buy new ones. Do you know what the length of stock ones are? are the pro comps any good? i was looking at them. should i replace the rear ones with this lift too?

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
If you lifted the rear 2 or more inches then longer rear shocks would be a good idea.

Spacers are to pprevent over extensión which really wouldn't be a problem. The upper control arm will make contact with metal before over extension occurs I think but I may be wrong. With a lift like this you are taking away downward suspension travel which isn't really a good thing.

Anyway there is a thread on this forum somewhere with shock measurements.

Not sure about pro comp but anything is better than the stock ones in my opinion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its the only thing i could afford right now so it'll do. i want to put a 4" suspension lift on it eventually. but thanks a lot you were alot of help

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
No problem. I had a torsion bar lift for a while but couldn't stand the rough ride

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The front shock spacers are not necessary/required. But the droop may be a little bit limited. You may only notice that if you start flexing the vehicle. Otherwise, the spacers aren't going to cause you any problems if you don't install them.

I had stock shocks on my torsion bar lifted for like a year. I eventually replaced them with KYB shocks from SuspensionMAXX which are extended length. Nothing really changed from stock shocks to the extended length as far ride control. Just a little difference due to the shock valving on the KYB over stock.

Good luck with your alignment. There are a number of threads where people can't get it to align, but that is usually the result of the shop not being capable of doing the work.

Also, once it has settled for a day or 3, check the side to side height and adjust as necessary before you take it in for your alignment. It will settle a little from the initial adjustment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts