Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have the rough country 2.5" lift on my truck....shackles and tb spacers. Right now my wheel/tire set up consists of 16x8 sidebiters with 265/75 kenda klevers. I was wondering if you guys think i would be able to run 18x10 rims with 265/75 tires? anyone try it? Not sure if i would rub bad or not. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
10" wheels are too wide for a 265mm tire (mostly my opinion, and based on tire manufacturer recommendations). Others will tell me I am stupid though-and do it anyway.

And that tire is too tall at almost 34" tall. You are good for 33x10.5 or a set of 32's. 32's will rub depending on backspace/offset.
And without knowing either the backspace, or offset, no telling how much you will end up rubbing.

Is your truck a Z85 or Z71?

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Profile says z85... :shrug:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the z85 model. The wheels I would get have 4.5" and -24mm backspacing. Do you think I could fit 32 or 33s with 18s? Sorry I should have researched a little more on tires it's kinda hard to find tires that are 265 for 18s. I have some more room to crank my tbs. I'm pretty sure that im still and inch or so from the 24.5" mark that everyone talks about. I would be find with trimming off some of im front bumper and my fender flare if needed

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
A 33x10.5 has been used a lot. With a 4.5" backspace on the 8" wheel it would be pretty okay.

Personal suggestion tough, a 33" tire on a Z85 will rob a tremendous amount of power. I am between 14/15 mpg with 31.6" tires. I can't imagine even larger. The 33" tire is over 15% increased in diameter. Z85's sit lower than Z71's. Overdrive on a grade if any significance is pretty much useless making it difficult to use cruise control on a long drive. The hills are always forcing it to kick down.

Without considering the mileage, the vehicle feels so sluggish too when accelerating from the line like at green lights and stop signs.

Here is a pic of my truck with 265/75-16 (31.6") on a Z85 sitting at 24" hub/fender. I've installed 1.5" shackles and I sit level. If you haven't lifted that high, no way will you fit 33's. I wish I'd gone with 31's to be honest.
http://coloradofans.com/forums/members/69977-08canyon-albums-random-picture19394-driver-side.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A 33x10.5 has been used a lot. With a 4.5" backspace on the 8" wheel it would be pretty okay.

Personal suggestion tough, a 33" tire on a Z85 will rob a tremendous amount of power. I am between 14/15 mpg with 31.6" tires. I can't imagine even larger. The 33" tire is over 15% increased in diameter. Z85's sit lower than Z71's. Overdrive on a grade if any significance is pretty much useless making it difficult to use cruise control on a long drive. The hills are always forcing it to kick down.

Without considering the mileage, the vehicle feels so sluggish too when accelerating from the line like at green lights and stop signs.

Here is a pic of my truck with 265/75-16 (31.6") on a Z85 sitting at 24" hub/fender. I've installed 1.5" shackles and I sit level. If you haven't lifted that high, no way will you fit 33's. I wish I'd gone with 31's to be honest.
http://coloradofans.com/forums/members/69977-08canyon-albums-random-picture19394-driver-side.jpg
Its not letting me see your pic for some reason. But yeah right now i have 265/75 on 16 in rims, I've been looking and i actually found some wheels i like that are 17x10, and i found tires that are 31x10.5 would they work on 10 in rims? I'm sorry guys i don't know a whole whole lot about this stuff. I feel like 18s and 33s would be really really close, yeah like you said it would deff rob
power. I have the 2.8 i4 and its terrible haha. so would 31s with 17x10's work? does anyone have this set up on their truck? will the -24 offset cause them to rub. my rims right now are 16x8 with 4.5 backspacing and 0 offset, i need more stance though :D:D

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
I would not put a 10.5 inch wide tire on a 10 inch wide wheel. You can if you want and like the stretched tire look but in my opinion it looks stupid. If you want more of a "stance" then find 8 inch wide wheels with 3.5 inches of backspace or 9 inch wide wheels with around 4 inches of backspace. Or keep the wheels you have and use some wheels spacers for more "stance"

-24mm offset on a 10 inch wide wheel equals 4.5 inches of backspace. Probably would rub anything that couldn't be trimmed off but I don't see then need for a 10 inch wide wheel unless you going with a 12.5 inch or wider tire.

But it's your truck... do what you like to it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would not put a 10.5 inch wide tire on a 10 inch wide wheel. You can if you want and like the stretched tire look but in my opinion it looks stupid. If you want more of a "stance" then find 8 inch wide wheels with 3.5 inches of backspace or 9 inch wide wheels with around 4 inches of backspace. Or keep the wheels you have and use some wheels spacers for more "stance"

-24mm offset on a 10 inch wide wheel equals 4.5 inches of backspace. Probably would rub anything that couldn't be trimmed off but I don't see then need for a 10 inch wide wheel unless you going with a 12.5 inch or wider tire.

But it's your truck... do what you like to it
i liked the stretched look....haha and i don't like the look of narrow tires being stuck way out I'm kind of picky. so you don't think that the 4.5 backspacing and -24mm would fit?

·
Registered
65 Posts

cant this be somewhat brought back with a tune? along with the speedo?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and i have another question. The tb spacers in the rough country lift are supposed to give you like 2" of lift.....the smaxx torsion keys also give you 2" of lift, if i were to get the torsion keys and put those in and keep the torsion key spacers would i get 4" total of lift?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
You are are limited by design of the front suspension. Stacking torsion bar lift components WILL work in terms of the actual products, but you're going to break other stuff by doing so. So NO, you can't do it. If you want more lift, add a body lift.

A recommendation is to lift the truck until the measurement from the underside of the front fender lip to the center of the hub is ~24" when measured with the truck parked on a level surface. When you go above that, the ride is so hard that your suspension doesn't work properly. CV joints will wear prematurely and often break. The ball joint will bind. And in some cases, the upper control arm (UCA) will crack at the ball joint mount.

Beyond that, you start breaking stuff. No need for spacers and keys.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are are limited by design of the front suspension. Stacking torsion bar lift components WILL work in terms of the actual products, but you're going to break other stuff by doing so. So NO, you can't do it. If you want more lift, add a body lift.

A recommendation is to lift the truck until the measurement from the underside of the front fender lip to the center of the hub is ~24" when measured with the truck parked on a level surface. When you go above that, the ride is so hard that your suspension doesn't work properly. CV joints will wear prematurely and often break. The ball joint will bind. And in some cases, the upper control arm (UCA) will crack at the ball joint mount.

Beyond that, you start breaking stuff. No need for spacers and keys.
completely understandable just wasn't sure so i asked. do you guys like the zone 1.5" body lift?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts