Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Colorado Z71 LS Crew Cab 3.5L i5 rwd 209k+ miles.
I searched the forum for a few hours and didn't quite find the same issues.
So a couple days ago I was on my way to work, started the truck up, it immediately started bogging like a miss fire or out of gas(Full tank), then it died. Gave it a few seconds, took the key out, checked the oil, checked the air box, tested the battery, everything seemed good. tried to start it again, no crank, just a click from the engine compartment near starter. Dash lights up, no codes, passlock light not illuminated at all. I swapped relays around, fuses around, with no luck. Had a mechanic friend come out and help me look into it, we went through the truck for a few hours and didn't find any mechanical issues. At this point I'm having it towed to an electrician on Monday, but I'm just stumped. I'm borrowing a car until I get this fixed, so any insight you all may have would be appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2005 Colorado Z71 LS Crew Cab 3.5L i5 rwd 209k+ miles.
I searched the forum for a few hours and didn't quite find the same issues.
So a couple days ago I was on my way to work, started the truck up, it immediately started bogging like a miss fire or out of gas(Full tank), then it died. Gave it a few seconds, took the key out, checked the oil, checked the air box, tested the battery, everything seemed good. tried to start it again, no crank, just a click from the engine compartment near starter. Dash lights up, no codes, passlock light not illuminated at all. I swapped relays around, fuses around, with no luck. Had a mechanic friend come out and help me look into it, we went through the truck for a few hours and didn't find any mechanical issues. At this point I'm having it towed to an electrician on Monday, but I'm just stumped. I'm borrowing a car until I get this fixed, so any insight you all may have would be appreciated.
Can you spin the engine over with a breaker bar? I hate to go there as the first suggestion but it could possibly be the case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will do that when I get home from my morning shift (sorry I work two jobs).

Only when initially turned on, like every other light, but they all go away after a couple seconds. I've left my scanner plugged in and no codes or warnings.

(Also, I haven't been on a forum in so long.. I should really be quoting you, I'm sorry. Lol)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will do that when I get home from my morning shift (sorry I work two jobs).

Only when initially turned on, like every other light, but they all go away after a couple seconds. I've left my scanner plugged in and no codes or warnings.

(Also, I haven't been on a forum in so long.. I should really be quoting you, I'm sorry. Lol)
Haha no worries. All lights should go off except the engine. That should stay on until the vehicle starts. If not, you have a computer problem

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha no worries. All lights should go off except the engine. That should stay on until the vehicle starts. If not, you have a computer problem
That's what I was afraid of.

I'll update when I finally get it taken care of. Thank you for your help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
News so far. A coil shorted which blew a pack of fuses. Electrician repaired those, it runs and drives like normal now, but is trying to find the reason for the original short.

I will update when I have more info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, 350 miles later. No issues. Must have been a bad coil. It decided 50k was the best time to quit. Coil shorted. Hit the fuses for the ignition/coils/AC... which explains it all. No grounding problems. Didn't find any other issues.

Thank you for your input BDiano

1 - 9 of 9 Posts