Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2004 Colorado. I have searched everywhere on here but can’t find anyone with the issue I’m having. My rpm needle works but at idle it is way below 0. At 1k rpm I’m really at 3k rpm. Anyone ever had this issue or know how I could fix it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
So I have a 2004 Colorado. I have searched everywhere on here but can’t find anyone with the issue I’m having. My rpm needle works but at idle it is way below 0. At 1k rpm I’m really at 3k rpm. Anyone ever had this issue or know how I could fix it? Thanks
Welcome to the Nation.
The gauges/tach/speedometer all work from digital signals sent from the PCM over the Serial Data Bus. You mention that at 3K actual rpm the tach is reading 1K rpm. I'm assuming that you have a scan tool and are reading rpm output of the PCM. The would seem to indicate a problem with the indicator. You could try removing the cluster and re-positioning the needle. The issue could be a defective stepper motor that drives the indicator. They are available on Ebay and if you are skilled with a soldering iron, they aren't too difficult to replace. You could try a used cluster assembly from a donor truck, but there are some odometer issues that you would need to be aware of. I'm pretty sure that the clusters are the same for 2004-2006.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Nation.
The gauges/tach/speedometer all work from digital signals sent from the PCM over the Serial Data Bus. You mention that at 3K actual rpm the tach is reading 1K rpm. I'm assuming that you have a scan tool and are reading rpm output of the PCM. The would seem to indicate a problem with the indicator. You could try removing the cluster and re-positioning the needle. The issue could be a defective stepper motor that drives the indicator. They are available on Ebay and if you are skilled with a soldering iron, they aren't too difficult to replace. You could try a used cluster assembly from a donor truck, but there are some odometer issues that you would need to be aware of. I'm pretty sure that the clusters are the same for 2004-2006.
I actually took it apart today and spun the needle so when it shuts off it lands on 0. Now it’s working like it’s supposed to. But thanks for the input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts