Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I passed a car and got my baby to a little over 60 in second gear, like 61 or 6200rpms. (Maybe a little higher, hehe) The engine sounded tough, tougher than 5500 thats for sure but what is the range, safe range for our motors (I have the 4banger, exhaust, and intake) Just so I know where and where not to go when I go have some fun:econo:

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
The rev limiter will tell ya... but when I open HPtuners everyones truck says 6200. The engine may shift a little after or before but you'll never really know.

I have one friend who when tuned for some reason when we had a set limiter it still revved out to whatever. He got it up to 7300... sounded nasty and there was a little backfire afterwards.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The rev limiter will tell ya... but when I open HPtuners everyones truck says 6200. The engine may shift a little after or before but you'll never really know.

I have one friend who when tuned for some reason when we had a set limiter it still revved out to whatever. He got it up to 7300... sounded nasty and there was a little backfire afterwards.
Wow 7300?! Was he even making power in that range?

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Wow 7300?! Was he even making power in that range?
Truck was in neutral idling. I did have a customer who wanted 6500 so I obliged with obviously him agreeing to not come after me if he caused damages. He had me take it down a week later... said theres nothing left past 6200 really not much from 6000 on.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I was looking for, nothing past 6000. I always see people when they are racing on videos and crap taking it past their redlines and just wanted to know if the redline was put a little lower in the power band to prevent damage or something. Grass-e-ass!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts

Yah mine went to about 7200 when i first got tuned...It wouldnt shift at WOT so I would punch it and then it would go to bout 7200 and my exhaust sounded real nasty haha but then id let off a bit and punch it again and it would shift...glad i got that problem fixed after a few runs on freeway onramps

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yah mine went to about 7200 when i first got tuned...It wouldnt shift at WOT so I would punch it and then it would go to bout 7200 and my exhaust sounded real nasty haha but then id let off a bit and punch it again and it would shift...glad i got that problem fixed after a few runs on freeway onramps
Wow.:lol:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Truck was in neutral idling. I did have a customer who wanted 6500 so I obliged with obviously him agreeing to not come after me if he caused damages. He had me take it down a week later... said theres nothing left past 6200 really not much from 6000 on.
That sounds more like it. I really dont feel it pulling anymore after 6000K, just the intake gets louder:D.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I know with mine when I had it tuned it was still making power at 6500. But REALLY fell off at 6650. After I had mine finished the tuner set my limit at 6500 and I ran with it like that for quite a while but sense had him turn it down to 6200. So I would assume that 6200 should be the ruff RPM to shoot for. It seems to shift the best at this RPM at least with mine anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts