Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
441 - 460 of 1216 Posts

·
Boosted V8
1,441 Posts
Re: RSHADD's Build Journal

Well I was going to wait to reveal this but I feel its necessary to post up with my results. Myself and Rich both ordered the kits for our trucks at the same time. Unfortunately this is far from a bolt on kit my truck has been down for 7 days with issues of the rotors wobbling on the wheel hub and the calipers in turn walking around on the rotor. causing the top half of the rotor to rub against the caliper pins causing a extremely vile sounding grinding noise. I also found out about the ABS sensor positioning and had to cut my bracket to make it work. Long story short I basically r&d their supposed bolt on brake kit for them in the time span of 6/29 to today 7/6. Putting together and taking apart my rear brakes 9 or 10 times.

The front kit was flawless but the rear kit however had many flaws.

This is the email I fired off to SSBC

I'm sending this email so we can have documentation, for my record keepings. I ordered both front and rear kits for my Colorado about a month ago. I received them in 3 weeks and proceeded to install them starting on 6-29-11 I finished the whole kit by the following day 6-30-11. Excited I road tested them only to find out I was experiencing a very loud grinding noise from what I determined was my rear brakes. I have since taken apart my rear brakes, re-bleed my brakes, adjusted the e-brake and eventually disconnecting the e-brake all together. I have worked on my vehicle on a supposed bolt on kit every day since 6-29-11. I had to cut brackets in order to clear the ABS sensors, I've had to bore out the center of my rotors, and grind off a knub on the outside of the axle shaft. While I have been dealing with Dan Classer and Dave from Tech support which I do appreciate I feel that on an 1100 dollar rear brake kit my vehicle should not be inoperable for 7 days and it should not be the guinea pig for a kit that is "the hottest braking system since the V8colorado came out". I am herby requesting a partial refund of half the cost of the rear braking system. While I did read your minor modifications disclaimer I doubt having to cut my axle tube bracket, boring out my rotors and grinding on my axle tube could be considered minor modifications. I have since found out that not only does SSBC make the correct bracket I needed, without myself having to modify it, but that they did not include it in my kit, nor a friends kit who ordered at the same time as I. This is unacceptable, there is no reason my primary vehicle should be inoperable for this long. With all my troubles I have since convinced my friend to hold off on installation until I can provide him with the information needed to install once. He is paying somebody to install his kit, if his truck was down for 7 days, as mine was and still is, he would be responsible for payment to his mechanic for all the time and effort that I had to put into my kit? He's on the verge of returning his rear kit because of all the hassle and modifications needed to install a "bolt on kit". This is an email he received from Dan and I quote "Thank you for contacting SSBC with your braking needs. The upgrade you are asking about is one of our hottest setups since the V8Colorado came out." If this were the case all the issues I am experiencing should have already been addressed and the necessary implications should have been deployed so that customers like myself would not have any troubles. I feel lied to and cheated, and most of all frustrated. Again I do appreciate the help I have received, but again I should not be the one to research and develop for SSBC.

Thank You,
Edward

·
Boosted V8
1,441 Posts

Spoke to the rep at SSBC today. Apparently they have a newly designed rear caliper brackey that is designed to clear the rear ABS sensor. The new bracket ships tomorrow and I expect to have it in a couple of days.
also to add that apparently they knew about the modifications necessary and designed built and powdercoated a new bracket designed around the ABS sensor yet didnt bother to include it in mine nor Rshadd's kit and didnt bother to inform us of the new bracket. which in my mind would be pretty pertinent information to the install of the rear kit.

·
Boosted V8
1,441 Posts

Are you fuckin' serious?
HAHAHAH but MOZ yes they knew. mine is a 2010 but all v8 colorados are the same and they specifically said this kit would work, and not only that they specifically stated "Thank you for contacting SSBC with your braking needs. The upgrade you are asking about is one of our hottest setups since the V8Colorado came out." If this were true then they would have already know of the issues and in my mind either tell me about them or fix the kit so there were no issues.

·
Super Moderator
13,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #451 · (Edited)

Received a package from SSBC last week.

New rear rotors that actually fit.

The center diameter on these rotors have been machined to increase the center diameter so that they seat nicely. The edges have also been camfered and the hat has been machined instead of the raw casting on the previous set.

I also got their new re-designed rear caliper brackets.

These brackets have been milled to clear the ABS sensor and are engraved "REV A". Only problem with this set is that they're painted instead of powdercoated. While I appreciated SSBC rushing out the redesigned bracket in a hurry, I find the non-powdercoated bracket unacceptable. Heck, I could scratch the paint off with my fingernail. SSBC agreed to send me yet another set of rear caliper brackets that will be tumbled to remove the sharp edges and powdercoated black.

So once again, the installation is on hold.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Well that sucks that this happened to both of you guys, but it sounds like they're trying to make it right tho! Good luck with it guys and i can't wait to see it finished!

·
Dont let the Nation die
2005 GMC Canyon z71 SLE 4x4 3.5L
15,948 Posts

Rich, do you ever actually drive your truck? its tooooo clean!:lol:

:thumbup: looks great tho!

441 - 460 of 1216 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.