Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
461 - 480 of 1216 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #461 ·
Re: RSHADD's Build Journal

Well after waiting over two months I finally have all the pieces to install the SSBC dics brake conversion.

The revised powder coated rear caliper brackets finally found their way to my front porch.

Sure hope, REV-C isn't necessary....

I'm going to try and get these installed by the end of the week.

·
Super Moderator
13,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #466 · (Edited)

Installed the SSBC disc brake kit today. Here's a few pics of the installation. We started with the rears, since they're the biggest pain in the ass.

This isn't intended to be a how to, but I do cover some of the steps that I did that aren't in the instructions provide by SSBC.

Pulling the rear differential cover. The rear axles need to come out because the caliper backet mount to the back to the rear hub.

Once the rear is open. The center pin is removed from the carrier, then the c-clips that hold the axel in place can be removed. After the c-clips are remove the axels slide out.

With the axels out of the way, the backing plate is removed.

Cleaning up the sufaces...

Ran into a bit of a clearance issue with the rear caliper backet. It would not clear the rear ABS sensor. I guess SSBS needs a rev C.
Any way a little mill work on the Bridgeport made them fit properally.... So much for being a bolt on.

This picture shows the rear caliper bracket after it had been machined to clear the ABS sensor.

We had to take about 1/8" off to make them fit nicely.

Here's the brackets for the rears. We had to mill down the large silver spacers on the passenger side in order for the caliper to line up right.

I flipped the mount for the rear emergency brake mount so that it wasn't at such a hard angle. The bracket was spot welded, so the spot weld was drilled out. Then the bracket was flipped

This is how the emergency brake mounts to the back of the hub.

Hooking up the emergency brake.

Made up a custom bracket to hold the flex lines, then ran new hard lines for the rear.

The fitting that SSBC sent me had the wrong threads. This fitting that they provided is necessary to convert the from one style flared end to the factory style flared end.

Since the fittings weren't right, we ending up just making new hard lines with the correct flared ends.

With the back done.. it was time to move on to the fronts. The fronts were much easier to install and bolted up with little fanfare other than some shimming them for proper spacing.

Pulling the front hubs required the use of a puller... otherwise it was pretty straight foreward.

We did have to add an extra shim washer on the drivers side front for clearance. Once that was done they worked great. I've got to take it easy and brake in the new pads so that they seat nicely before I doing any hard braking, so I can't really say how well they work yet. But they do look rather nice.

·
Dont let the Nation die
2005 GMC Canyon z71 SLE 4x4 3.5L
15,948 Posts

:high5: looks great man!!! Cant wait to hear how the ride and stop.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts

Does the kit come with a part list with part numbers for replacement pieces, like rotors/hats? :eek:mg:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts

Care to share? Being able to order rotors/hats that fit would be a good foundation for a custom setup.

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts

Care to share? Being able to order rotors/hats that fit would be a good foundation for a custom setup.
Don't forget he's a v8 with the larger rear end. Axles may be different enough that they won't work, I'm not sure though haven't looked at mine close enough to remember them to compare from his pictures.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts

Don't forget he's a v8 with the larger rear end. Axles may be different enough that they won't work, I'm not sure though haven't looked at mine close enough to remember them to compare from his pictures.
I wouldn't want a whole kit so it's kind of irrelevant. I'm just curious what they're charging for the rotor/hat assembly. The replacement big brake kit ones they sell for the Silverado's are fairly reasonably priced. Having to modify their kit at that price I'd rather piece together a custom setup with a different caliper.

Thanks for the pictures RSHADD, looks like the part numbers aren't on their website. I'll probably have to email them for a price.

461 - 480 of 1216 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.