1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
^^^^ Hahah yea just a little bit

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
just cut the wheel wells out if you go that low because it will probably annoy the piss outta you, either that, or learn how to take bumps on the highway really well. i'm at 4" all around on 20's with 40 series tires. mine rubs, but not as bad as everyone on here complains like it does, plus, i'm a mini trucker, i'm used to rubbing, scraping, getting stuck, ripping the lower valance off, etc.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
:lmaop:

I think it's more of a safety concern than "knowing how to take bumps on the highway really well."

When I was running the 4" drop on 255/35-20's, I would bottom out so hard on the wheel wells, I lost steering. I don't care how good of a driver anyone thinks they are, but you can't steer when the wheel is pressed up inside the well. Losing steering when the highway is turning is NOT my idea of fun. And believe me, I love trying to get as low as I can go, on as big of a wheel I can tuck. Trust me, I'm all for it, but when it becomes a safety concern for myself, my passenger and the others on the road, that right there crosses the line.

Not only was I losing steering, but every time it hit, I thought to myself that my tire is going to blow out. That's how hard it was hitting my wheel well.

Hey, maybe the roads are perfect in VA and you don't have the issues I had, but here in Southern California, the roads are VERY FAR from even close to being perfect. I believe we do have the worst roads in the nation.

I'm certainly not trying to start shit, but I'm being realistic about it.

·
Registered
845 Posts

I think it's more of a safety concern than "knowing how to take bumps on the highway really well."

When I was running the 4" drop on 255/35-20's, I would bottom out so hard on the wheel wells, I lost steering. I don't care how good of a driver anyone thinks they are, but you can't steer when the wheel is pressed up inside the well. Losing steering when the highway is turning is NOT my idea of fun. And believe me, I love trying to get as low as I can go, on as big of a wheel I can tuck. Trust me, I'm all for it, but when it becomes a safety concern for myself, my passenger and the others on the road, that right there crosses the line.

Not only was I losing steering, but every time it hit, I thought to myself that my tire is going to blow out. That's how hard it was hitting my wheel well.

Hey, maybe the roads are perfect in VA and you don't have the issues I had, but here in Southern California, the roads are VERY FAR from even close to being perfect. I believe we do have the worst roads in the nation.

:yeahthat::true:

...in Southern California, the roads are VERY FAR from even close to being perfect. I believe we do have the worst roads in the nation.
I beg to differ. I bet mine are worse. Ill challenge you somehow someway to prove mine are worse! :lol:

You do make a good point though about safety.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts

did you even read the first sentence of my response that said to CUT THE WHEEL WELLS OUT? i said that because it IS a safety issue. i didn't say he should go that low, i just said that he'll rub often and better do something about it. the roads suck here too, i think they do pretty much everywhere. i know you're not trying to start anything and i appreciate your opinion on the subject, but i think we can agree that if you venture that low, you will need to do something about it. yes?

edit: i didn't say he shouldn't go that low either...

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
did you even read the first sentence of my response that said to CUT THE WHEEL WELLS OUT? i said that because it IS a safety issue. i didn't say he should go that low, i just said that he'll rub often and better do something about it. the roads suck here too, i think they do pretty much everywhere. i know you're not trying to start anything and i appreciate your opinion on the subject, but i think we can agree that if you venture that low, you will need to do something about it. yes?

edit: i didn't say he shouldn't go that low either...
Of course I read your post. And cutting the wheel wells out is ideal, I completely agree.

However, in your post (in bold below), you made it seem that the rubbing isn't that bad. That's why I said I'm trying to be realistic about things.

greg larkins said:
just cut the wheel wells out if you go that low because it will probably annoy the piss outta you, either that, or learn how to take bumps on the highway really well. i'm at 4" all around on 20's with 40 series tires. mine rubs, but not as bad as everyone on here complains like it does, plus, i'm a mini trucker, i'm used to rubbing, scraping, getting stuck, ripping the lower valance off, etc.

[EDIT]: And I didn't state whether he should or shouldn't go that low either. It's his truck and it's up to him. I was only answering his question.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
And I didn't state whether he should or shouldn't go that low either. It's his truck and it's up to him. I was only answering his question.
aren't you at like 4.5 or 5 inches up front? tell us what you did to overcome the problem, that way he can decide weather or not he want's to go that low for himself. i'm not gonna keep keep going back and forth, so just post a response to aforementioned question.

·
Registered
342 Posts
aren't you at like 4.5 or 5 inches up front? tell us what you did to overcome the problem, that way he can decide weather or not he want's to go that low for himself. i'm not gonna keep keep going back and forth, so just post a response to aforementioned question.
He is also on 18s not 20s; with like a custom made 10 series tire, its really just a 1/4 inch solid piece of rubber that was fused to the wheel.

(Oh and I made up everything after the semi-colon) :econo:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts