Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO christmas time is coming up so you know im gonna waste countless amounts of my parents money on lifting my truck more...

so right now i got 3" torsion twist, 1.5" rear shackles and 1.5" body lift. My tires are 285/75/R16 and i have some rubbing issues i need help with.

If i am correct, upgrading my 1.5" body lift to a 3" body lift should take care of this rubbing issue below. It's not possible to buy another SMAXXX 1.5" body lift and just add it on is it, or should i get a seperate 3" BL and have it installed?
My tires are hitting the back wheel well and the end of the fender when turned. Not a problem on flat ground but when i go up/down hill at a turn it rubs badly. A 3" body lift will fix this issue right? Also, since a 3" BL will show a lot of the frame, any suggestions on running boards or nerf bars to cover it a bit?

wheel Straigtened out
wheel turned 360 degrees

Heres the issue and the rubbing i hope to cure with a 3" Body lift instead of the current 1.5":
wheel turned a little over 540 degrees

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
The 3" body lift should solve the problem, then I am unsure of how far the travel will be when hitting bumps. If anything, the 3" would solve most of it and you would need to trim less of the fender, wheel well liner to clear.

Or you can just start cutting the wheel well liner as it is now to get the clearance.

whatever you do, DO NOT BUY ANOTHER 1.5" BODY LIFT AND PUT IT ON TOP OF THE CURRENT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the step bars, best ones I have seen are the stock set. They bolt to the cab rather than the frame and go up with the body lift to hide the frame.

Other than that, you would need to fab up brackets to lift them up higher.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Smaller tires will fix that problem.

NO SUCH THING AS SMALLER TIRES FOR ME lol

and blurred thanks, i figured the 3" woudl solve the majority of the problem and i knew the 1.5" SMAXX add would be a bad idea just wanted to throw it out there lol

thanks though, ill update after christmas time when santa fixes it up for me

·
Nipple
6,350 Posts
I'm in a similar issue as you with the rubbing on the same spot. My fix is gonna be to crank about an 1" on the TBs, add the AAL, I got new longer shocks (I know the don't provide lift, but I needed longer ones). If that doesn't quite do the trick, I'm gonna do a 1" body lift. But I can't do mine until I go back down state over Christmas because I have nowhere to do it myself up here, and I am not paying around $200 for someone else to install it.

In for seeing your version of the fix.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in a similar issue as you with the rubbing on the same spot. My fix is gonna be to crank about an 1" on the TBs, add the AAL, I got new longer shocks (I know the don't provide lift, but I needed longer ones). If that doesn't quite do the trick, I'm gonna do a 1" body lift. But I can't do mine until I go back down state over Christmas because I have nowhere to do it myself up here, and I am not paying around $200 for someone else to install it.

In for seeing your version of the fix.
yea well i already got my tb cranked at max so i cant go much higher with that. i think im just gonna ask santa for 3" body lift and replace my 1.5" SMAXXX body lift kit, because the only time i really have rubbing is turning up/down hill. flat ground is no problem. as for the wheel hitting the frame, well theres not much i can do for that except just not turn the wheel all the way. its only like a 10 degree difference in steering.

Someone told me lifting your truck will get super expensive and is super addicting. well he was definetly right about both lol

·
Hybrid
5,842 Posts
<========== Addict

3" PA Body Lift w/ Westin Knockoffs (fab'd brackets)

Cut that Redonkulous Body Mount :mad:

or, cut the Fenders :D

·
Nipple
6,350 Posts
Someone told me lifting your truck will get super expensive and is super addicting. well he was definetly right about both lol
Uhh. yeah, that's definitely true. If I had the money, I would drop it into a subframe. I want higher soo bad, it's ridiculous. My truck needs to be taller than I am, it's saddening. lol.

·
Est. 1992
2,304 Posts
yea well i already got my tb cranked at max so i cant go much higher with that. i think im just gonna ask santa for 3" body lift and replace my 1.5" SMAXXX body lift kit, because the only time i really have rubbing is turning up/down hill. flat ground is no problem. as for the wheel hitting the frame, well theres not much i can do for that except just not turn the wheel all the way. its only like a 10 degree difference in steering.

A lot of guys run PA 3'' body lift, shop around for them so your parents don't order the first 3'' BL they see and get ripped off, granted they get it for you :lol: hope you've been good, lol but if you do get it and decide you want to replace the 1.5, I'm not too far away i might make a day trip and help you install and possibly buy/install your 1.5 if you would be interested in selling?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have stock keys cranked and a 1" hockey puck body lift and my tires are same width just .5 inch shorter than yours and i dont scrub at all.....do you want to know my secret??

I CUT THAT SHIT OUT!! or A BAMFH and I didnt have to cut the outside of my fenders so no one can even tell unless u stick your head into the fenderwell.....tell santa to bring you a saw zaw.

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
thats cool shane i didn't know you had cut your fenders back, something i have been thinking about when i get ready for new tires so i can do something a lil out of ordinary

·
Hybrid
5,842 Posts
thats cool shane i didn't know you had cut your fenders back, something i have been thinking about when i get ready for new tires so i can do something a lil out of ordinary
Pretty easy to do.

You really have to look close to tell. Only imperfections are very small cracks in the paint on the flares from the new bends.

Rhino Liner would cover that up nice.

I use Mud :D

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
ya the paint is no big deal, i bought a gallon of what the truck is sprayed in so there is plenty left, i have really wanted to do 37"s on one just for the hell of it, with some cutting i don't think its far out of reach, won't be able to get crazy with it offroad but i should be able to make enough clearance for me

1 - 20 of 22 Posts