Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering how much of a PITA it is to run speaker wire through the doors?? Getting ready to do mine any help would be greatful!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I answered your PM, but I'd thought I'd post my comments here too so anyone else could add to it that wanted to:

It depends on the options you have. If you have power stuff (like I do), then it's a big pain - frankly, I didn't do it. I tapped into the factory wire and used them. If you don't have power windows and stuff, then it's pretty easy - you only have a rubber boot going from the door to the car, so you just have to fish it through there.

But with power options, GM puts a molex style connector at the door and truck, so you can't get new wires through there. I've seen a couple of guys who drilled holes in empty places in the connectors and ran wires there. The only other option would be to drill new holes in the door and truck and then put some sort of waterproof cover over the wires and holes. But either way it's a major PITA. One tip is that you can undo the stopper on the door so you can swing it open further making it easier to work in there, but if you do, be aware, THE DOOR CAN SWING INTO THE FRONT QUARTER PANEL DAMAGING BOTH THE DOOR AND QUARTER, SO BE CAREFUL!!!

Good luck either way, but unless you're running a bunch of power (200W+ per speaker), I'd just tap in to the factory wire behind the radio like I did.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Well, it all depends on how mechanically enclined a person is. Certain tasks might seem easy to a person who is, and the same task might seem difficult to someone who isn't....

Personally, I don't think it would be that bad. Remove your kick panels and door panels, snake a coat hanger or something similar through your door harness (which might be easier said than done) tape the speaker wires to it, and pull it through into the door.

Personally, I'd remove the door simply because all you have to do is unplug the harness at the post, remove 3-10mm bolts, and it lifts right off. It would give you alot more room to work instead of being all cramped. And it would be a hellofa lot easier than trying to push a coat hanger past the plug....

Just my opinion though.....hope it helps...:355:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It depends on the options you have. If you have power stuff (like I do), then it's a big pain

But with power options, GM puts a molex style connector at the door and truck, so you can't get new wires through there.

Good luck either way, but unless you're running a bunch of power (200W+ per speaker), I'd just tap in to the factory wire behind the radio like I did.
Well shit!!!! Yes I have all power stuff, windows/locks/mirrors etc. So it sounds like I'm in for a treat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just finished up my amp and component/coaxial set-up today in my crew cab and I gotta say... It was a BITCH!! It probably would've been easier had I removed the front fenders so that I could have better access to the grommets and connectors in between the body and front door. Good thing my friend has smal hands and was able to shove the wires into the grommets. Other than that, the rear doors were pretty easy just as long as you remove all of the door panels. Good luck doing yours!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, it all depends on how mechanically enclined a person is. Certain tasks might seem easy to a person who is, and the same task might seem difficult to someone who isn't....

Personally, I don't think it would be that bad. Remove your kick panels and door panels, snake a coat hanger or something similar through your door harness (which might be easier said than done) tape the speaker wires to it, and pull it through into the door.

Personally, I'd remove the door simply because all you have to do is unplug the harness at the post, remove 3-10mm bolts, and it lifts right off. It would give you alot more room to work instead of being all cramped. And it would be a hellofa lot easier than trying to push a coat hanger past the plug....

Just my opinion though.....hope it helps...:355:

Heres the rpoblem with removing doors and fenders if you have never done. It will be a much bigger task to line the body lines back up on a door or fender than it will to run that wire back through. Trust me on this.

If you have removed doors and fenders in the post and understand its not just putting it back on and tightening bolts thats cool. if you have not , then take the chance with wires and doors on the truck

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Heres the rpoblem with removing doors and fenders if you have never done. It will be a much bigger task to line the body lines back up on a door or fender than it will to run that wire back through. Trust me on this.

If you have removed doors and fenders in the post and understand its not just putting it back on and tightening bolts thats cool. if you have not , then take the chance with wires and doors on the truck
Ok guys I just completed wiring my doors today. I took them off with no and I say again NO Issues what so ever!!! There isn't any issues with alignment at all!!! You do need a second pair of hands to get it accomplished though.

But as far as taking them off and putting them back on it's too damn easy!! One would think that you would need more time to get them off. I had both doors wired in about 45 minutes total with again no issues.

Now I just need to get it finished!!!! :lun2: :lun2:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chop, chop then!

:p

Did you get your speakers mounted??
Nope not entirely. Was working on the box / tweets in doors / wiring in doors / taking multiple measurements of the mids / figuring out the amp rack and so on......

BTW I've added a table saw, router and Jasper Jig to my collection of tools!! I'll NEVER cut another circle without the router/Jasper Jig set-up.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Nah I was at the river and just got back last night so I havent had a chance to finish. And the company I ordered the amps from sent me the wrong ones so I have to wait for them to ship out the right ones. Box will be finished this weekend though...just need the new amps :dawg: and carpet that I ordered and I'll be set

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Nah I was at the river and just got back last night so I havent had a chance to finish. And the company I ordered the amps from sent me the wrong ones so I have to wait for them to ship out the right ones. Box will be finished this weekend though...just need the new amps :dawg: and carpet that I ordered and I'll be set
I don't know about Fender Man, but I was talking to Hannibal. :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did mine without having to take the door off. Once you get the plastic connector out of the door and stuff, just drill a couple of holes in it and run the wires.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did mine without having to take the door off. Once you get the plastic connector out of the door and stuff, just drill a couple of holes in it and run the wires.
Wow dude you must have some hella small hands. There was NO way in hell I could've gotten this thing out or drilled without removing the doors.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I didn't have to take my door off...just unscrewed the bolt that would allow it to swing out farthur. I didn't have any drilling to do though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts