Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have all the cables now to run my amp. I was wondering where everyone has been running the power wire back from. I have a Ext Cab and plan on mounting the amp between the 2 little seats. I noticed there is a large hole in the firewall that puts it above the gas and break pedals. I thought that might work but I dont want it getting in the way of anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
if your look at the engine from the front on the right top side of the fire wall there is a nice big rubber grommet that you can run it through

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Thats where I plan on running my direct power for my ameture radio. I tried fishing it once but didn;t have the right tools. Shouldn;t be too hard with the right set of tools.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The guy I got to do mine for me went through the passenger side firewall grommet...I dont think it makes that much difference..this one was nice and wide open and it comes clear in sight into the passenger footwell at the top, then he just shot it down the carpet to the back under the pass seat.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay good, thats where I have already ran the power for my Homelink in my visor. I just wanted to double check that was a good place to run that 4ga wire threw.

thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another Question..... When running the cable back to the back would it be better to to run it in the track on the door jam or just keep it inside the truck under the carpet?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dude, i ran a 4ga power through the upper driver side no problems, as long as you keep the wire up against the side wall it wont get in the way of brake, accel, or e-brake. You def want to keep it under the carpet. Mines about 6 inch from the door jam track and taped to the floor (extra precaution on making sure it doenst slide around so it wont get caught up on anything) Once i got it to the back i ran the power across were the dip of the jumper seat tool box folds up, ran it to the jack box in the middle which is where it comes out and goes to the amp in pass side jumper area.

Just to give you an option on how to get it there!

·
Registered
149 Posts
nope, i just pushed it in close enough that it is tight up against the seat mounts, plus its under the padding and carpet. so i guess that puts it about 4 inch in from door jamj

·
Registered
154 Posts
I ran 0 guage under the the truck. I wrapped it in Loom and called it good. Zip tied it to the frame, poped it back behind the seat. In my Crew Cab.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Drill up through the Floor. Just in the Rear Behind the Seat. I will take a Pic tomorrow and attach it...Hopefully I will be able to. It is not Hard at all. make sure if you run it down under the truck to Split Loom it and Zip Tie it to the Frame. Just incase...0Guage is really big and I did not want it to have a Hump in the Carpet.
I am Running 2 amps with it.

Plus it will be futher away from the RCAs...So you will get less noise. Make sure to get shielded RCAs. This is where most ppl go really really cheap. I bought 3 sets of 2 CH. 2 sets were like 160ish and the other was 120ish. They are made in Germany. They are Called IXOS...I think that is there name.
Best of Luck

LATER

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Why would you drill holes in your floor???

You can use that large grommet they were talking about earlier ^^. Bring it down from there, behind the left kick panel and under the door sill. You'd never know it's there.

I'm running 1/0 through that, nevermind 0 ga. lol.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Used the passenger side grommet for mine, no problems.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Why did I drill a hole? It dose not really matter. It is where I wanted to place the Amps. So it was easier for me to Drill it close to the Amps. Also the grommet I used is no Big deal...There is one Specially made for Running 0Guage thorugh Holes and such. They are about 10bucks or so. They become water tight around the Wirer.
In Reality it really dose not matter where you pop through. Just pop it out where ever you want.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I've got 4 gauge running the track of the door with no buldging or anything from the sill plates... I came in from the driver's side grommet and down through the side panels underneath the dash... No problem at all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts