Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Allright, I just bought a 2004 extended cab manual 4cyl colorado. Runs great, very straight from everywhere and everything working fine, I'm really happy with it.

The thing is I live in Quebec so roads are total c*** and there's so much salt that my rocker panels are gone, really. That's the only thing I wasn't happy with, but I had the truck 500$ bucks less because of it, so... not bad. PLUS I had a guy who I trust from a very long time who said he could fix it like I wanted for around 300$. I would have liked to do it myself but I have no place warm enough to do it and it's like -4000 degrees outside here.

Rusted areas will be removed then the rockers will be welded with new sheet metal, then a layer of plastic, then they will be sanded, then primer... and then... a layer of gravelguard! We'll put a layer of oem duplicolor paint over it with some clearcoat and voila. I don't have pics of how they are right now because I registered on the forum 2 hours ago but I will soon.

I dropped the truck at the guy's shop this morning so I'll wait for him if he can send me one pic per step, that would be cool.

Until then, there is a pic of my truck, a pic of some guys truck who did the same thing I want, and a pic of a previous job my guy did on my old vw.

Sorry for my poor english quality but if you're not happy, well... I don't really care, thank you.

moncolorado by SR p, on Flickr

rocksliders002 by SR p, on Flickr

DSC_0039 by SR p, on
Flickr

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Re: Rusted rocker panels

Congrats on the nice 355 find and rocker panels are one of the spots to watch for rusting. I had chips all along the bottom and got tired of spotting w/touch-up paint. Had the same truck shop who coated my bed run bed-liner all along the bottom...problem solved. Figured it was better than the cheezy stick-up rock panels and flowed w/my red/black exterior. I'm sure you're bud will fix it right and post some pics to show it off, when done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

...Figured it was better than the cheezy stick-up rock panels and flowed w/my red/black exterior...
I don't have a pic of what kind of disaster it may cause to a body but even fiberglass can't to the job. the previous owner of my old s10 did it and I'm pretty sure it would have pass trough time way better if he had only cut around rust holes with a grinder and spray a layer of primer over it.

If I can give an advise to anybody who wants a cheap but solid body repair, you should get your body parts at least spot welded instead of trying to shape fiberglass over a hole, put any kind of vinyl over it or anything else.

Hell I miss that s10

10904662_10152610867951932_1521314697_n by samrous, on Flickr

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

Your english is not that bad man!

Did you happen to get before pictures for the rust/rot on the truck for comparison

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Your english is not that bad man!

Did you happen to get before pictures for the rust/rot on the truck for comparison
Thank you 1BADI5!

If you're talking about my s10 I sold it a while ago, no pics, sorry! But I'll post pics of my colorado later in pm, right after the weldings!

I didn't took pics of the rockers cause I dropped the truck at the shop before I registered on 355nation, didn't thought I would start a thread at the time!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

Fair enough.

Well we look forward to more pictures...............we are picture whores here

·
Premium Member
663 Posts

Sorry for my poor english quality but if you're not happy, well... I don't really care, thank you.
Don't worry about it, your English is a lot better than my French. :lol2:
:welcome2:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

His english is 10x better than some of the people on the facebook group.

Those rusty rockers make me cringe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Thank you for all your comments about my english! Much appreciated!

UPDATE

Still no pic of the rockers but meanwhile I've found a set of perfect sized observe g-02 plus on local classifieds and only paid them 260$! PLUS they are almost like new, I'd say I'm quite a lucky guy. I put them in my creepy locker room until I get them installed on wednesday. I'll get the truck aligned at the same time. (I know they're 5 holes but I have other wheels)

[/url]10955514_10152611250126932_84164568_n by samrous, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]10965447_10152611250196932_1571055570_n by samrous, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]10841298_10152611250031932_584925652_n by samrous, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

Looks like a it should be a S&M room :lmaop:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Hope you're not too sensitive...It turns out that the rockers are 1000 times worst than we thought lol. I almost cr***** my pants when a received the pic... I'm happy that it's gonna be fixed!

10966520_10153013715437708_430036881_n by samrous, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm not surprised at all, just type "hivers quebecois" in google and you'll see the kind of s*** everyday we have to go through

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

UPDATE

Things are starting to take shape!

Untitled by samrous, on Flickr

by samrous, on Flickr

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts
Rusted rocker panels

Hope you're not too sensitive...It turns out that the rockers are 1000 times worst than we thought lol. I almost cr***** my pants when a received the pic... I'm happy that it's gonna be fixed!

10966520_10153013715437708_430036881_n by samrous, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm not surprised at all, just type "hivers quebecois" in google and you'll see the kind of s*** everyday we have to get through

Crapping and shitting do go together lol

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

[email protected] were right on the rocker-cancer, but your bud's off to a great start on the repair. She'll look like new in no time. Keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Update, the tailgate is quite a bit ugly too, I'm not sure what to do about that, what you guys think? I was wondering if someone had ever tried to fix it cause I guess that mine would be rusted at the same spots.

Untitled by samrous, on Flickr

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have new updates!

My guy sent me 2 pics. I'm in my bed right now and can't post pics with my phone so it will be a surprise tomorrow! Good night everybody!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Re: Rusty Rockers, now wondering what to do about the tailgate

Tailgates are generally cheap to replace then the labor to repair them.......I've been down that road twice

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Tailgates are generally cheap to replace then the labor to repair them.......I've been down that road twice
Yeah, I've heard it too

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

That was quick. Turned out good! x2 on just replacing the tailgate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts