Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
201 - 220 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nissan vs. Bronco? Ha...Same exact casting! Its a (4) bolt Delphi box...the same one the Bronco guys call a "Delphi Conversion" box that is supposed to be an improved version of the original 3-bolt Ford box. What's different is the splines on the sector and possibly the input. The Nissan version takes only Nissan pitman arms, while the Ford version takes Ford (duh) and maybe some Jeep/Saginaw arms. I've been told that you can swap the sectors back & forth between the two...thus converting the splines, however I do not know that to be fact.

I'm not real sure about the Ford version. I bought this from a guy on the net that said it was a Ford box but, once I got it in my hands I realized that no Ford arms would bolt-up to it. Frankly...I didn't know what it was! Eventually...my surfing paid off, and I found out its from a Gen I (pre-2002?) Xterra. Its 3.7:1 ratio and fits the H3 (and C/C) like it was made for it. Seems to handle 35"s with no problem, and also works with the stock GM R&P pump. I had to buy some fittings to adapt it to -AN...but that was about it.

On the input side...I took an angle grinder to the input shaft and put some flats on it. Believe it or not...the stock H3 intermediate shaft and U-joint clamp slip right on and it works perfectly. Cheap and easy.

Lastly...the stock Nissan pitman arm has about 1" of drop and it DOES have enough extra meat to ream-out for a GM 1-ton DRE. I tried several other boxes and IMO...this is THE box to use on the C/C-H3 platform.

·
Registered
16 Posts
SWEET! Nothing worse than a leaky, loose box. I'm gonna try to find the same deal around here. I want to get another one and send it over to West Texas (*******) to get it ported for a ram-assist. That way I won't have any downtime, while its away.

Plus, I want to get another pitman arm and this time...drill & taper it for "topside" DRE mounting. This is how Nissan did it but, I chose to reverse the taper and install the DRE up thru the bottom. Now that I got it all done...I realize that I do have room put it on the top...giving me another 1"-2" of up-travel clearance.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
anyone got any news on this project?

201 - 220 of 251 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.