Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a 2005 Colorado with k5 axles and what to know what steering box people are running. I have a 78 f150 box I’m thinking about but before I mod my frame for it I want to know other people’s opinions. What worked best for you?

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I’m interested in this as well. Subscribed.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Most I have seen use the 1990 Toyota steering gearbox. I have seen one that uses SRC hydraulic cylinder steering. That how ever is expensive. I will be starting a thread in January about doing a solid axle swap to mine. Taking a 4x2 Z71 to SAS 4x4. I am going to use the Toyota steering gear and Dana 44 axles. My donor front axle is coming from a 1975 Jeep Wagoneer, narrow track and my rear axle is from a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo. Transfer case will be a gear driven divorced NP205 from a Dodge truck.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
My donor front axle is coming from a 1975 Jeep Wagoneer, narrow track and my rear axle is from a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo. Transfer case will be a gear driven divorced NP205 from a Dodge truck.
That’s a unique combination.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
That’s a unique combination.
Everything matches up width wise, the rear is 60 and the front is 60.5 WMS to WMS. With my 3.5 backspace wheels the stance should be perfect with 35/12.50/15 tires. I picked the T case because they are readily available and almost bullet proof. Plus, I do not have to take my basically brand new, year old reman transmission apart and void the warranty to replace the output shaft and put the adapter on it for a married t case. I might be able to come roam those WV mountains with you after I am done.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Everything matches up width wise, the rear is 60 and the front is 60.5 WMS to WMS. With my 3.5 backspace wheels the stance should be perfect with 35/12.50/15 tires. I picked the T case because they are readily available and almost bullet proof. Plus, I do not have to take my basically brand new, year old reman transmission apart and void the warranty to replace the output shaft and put the adapter on it for a married t case. I might be able to come roam those WV mountains with you after I am done.
Your entire drivetrain should be just about bulletproof considering a fresh rebuild on your 4L60e.

I’ve not seen a divorced case on a Colorado yet. Pretty unique for sure.

You have an open invitation to any of my WV trips. I’ll show you the best the State has to offer.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I read your numbers regarding width and was left scratching my head. I had measured my width at roughly 63.5” a long time ago and thought I’d made a critical error.

Apparently the 2wd models were narrow (~60”). I didn’t notice your signature showing you had a 2wd.

I really should have figured that out when you were talking about a divorced transfer case. I feel really stupid. Your divorced case makes more sense to me now.

I swear I’ll get my SAS completed one day but my truck has been working really well as it is so it’s hard for me to chop it up again.

Your project has kinda reignited my desire to build again. I recently purchased a new truck so my Colorado is strictly for camping. It’s easier to start such a project if I’m not rushed to finish it over one weekend.

I’m hoping to see your pictures during the process. I need all the information I can get on the subject.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is mine so far. Gm10 bolts front and rear. 4.56 ratio. Decided on going with a Toyota steering box. 35s

·
Professional Lurker
577 Posts
Not sure what your budget is, but I’ve got this one on my shopping list:

It’s a beefed up yota box that’s already tapped for hydro/ram assist if you want to move that direction down the road. It’s also already set up for high steer, if you’re going that route.

If you need a recommendation for high steer:

If you tell them what your set is, they’ll customize the kit to fit your steering box and axle. Dana 44/GM 10 bolt should be cross-compatible

Looking forward to seeing your build finish

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
I read your numbers regarding width and was left scratching my head. I had measured my width at roughly 63.5” a long time ago and thought I’d made a critical error.

Apparently the 2wd models were narrow (~60”). I didn’t notice your signature showing you had a 2wd.

I really should have figured that out when you were talking about a divorced transfer case. I feel really stupid. Your divorced case makes more sense to me now.

I swear I’ll get my SAS completed one day but my truck has been working really well as it is so it’s hard for me to chop it up again.

Your project has kinda reignited my desire to build again. I recently purchased a new truck so my Colorado is strictly for camping. It’s easier to start such a project if I’m not rushed to finish it over one weekend.

I’m hoping to see your pictures during the process. I need all the information I can get on the subject.
You are correct, Roughly 63" wide is my stock WMS to WMS, as I am a 2wd Z71. I would have to buy a wider front axle and narrow it to get a 63 up front. I was able to source, already in my garage, a 97 Isuzu Rodeo D44 rearend. It is roughly 60" WMS to WMS. I have 3.5 inch backspaced wheels, so they poke out 2 to 2.5 inches over stock wheels with 32/11.50/15's mounted. So, If my axles are 3.0 narrower than stock, 1.5 inches per side, after stepping up to 35/12.50/15's, I should have roughly the exact same stance as I have now. with roughly the same amount of "poke" from the tires. Since I am going to run Coil Overs and not Leaf Springs, I should not have any rubbing issues.

If I had been able to find a stock front axle from another vehicle that was as cheap as my Jeep Wagoneer front axle will be I would have gotten a 63 inch wide front. The only one I have been able to find is the Toyota Land cruiser J80 and all of them used are $600 plus. I am giving $300 for the Jeep axle and gave $150 for the Rodeo axle, so both for less than that one Toyota axle.

The full plan is two link rear, to stop axle wrap and keep it planted. Up front a 3 link or a Radius arm set up will be deployed. Toyota steering gear with a custom drag link and a single steering stabilizer. The front will have a track bar also. Want to run a coil over set up, but may go Coil spring set up and shocks. The T case you already know about. I will be posting picks as soon as I start rebuilding axle assemblies. Since I am on a budget, this build has about a two year time line. I will be posting on my progress as I go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On the np205, what are you doing for a vss output. I know those noveske 205 vss kits are pretty expensive. Without a vss on the backside of your tcase, your bcm and TCM are gonna hate you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On the np205, what are you doing for a vss output. I know those noveske 205 vss kits are pretty expensive. Without a vss on the backside of your tcase, your bcm and TCM are gonna hate you
He is planning a two wheel drive build. So it will be in the tail shaft before the divorced t case. Should work fine. I did the same thing in my silverado

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
I have two choices, I can leave it in the trans, and my speedo will be off in low range, or, the company I am buying my remanufactured T case from can set up the t case with the VSS sensor for me. I will probably do the second option as it will be the better option in my opinion. ORD charges $150 for the VSS installed in the NP 205.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts