Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The company my girlfriend works for (DirecTV..go figure lol) is giving away free Sirius Recievers for Xmas, and a $30 gift card to use for the 1st month. She doesn't want it so I'm gonna put it in the truck. Where have some of you placed the antenna and ran the wire? I want it to be nice, clean and inconspicuous....

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I have kept all of mine inside, the old coly I had it in the middle of the dash tucked up below the winshield, right over the dash bolt cover, used some double sided tape to secure it, could not really tell it was there and I am going to put it back in the same place on the new truck.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds sweet man! How was the reception with it being down low like that? Any problems? I went on a road trip to FL one time and we had Sirius in the car, but it wasn't "Crystal clear coast to coast" like they advertise. There were times when we couldn't get reception for shit, and that was with the antenna on the roof.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. Might have to try that!

Maybe play around with it till I find a location that I like.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it pretty easy to route the wire down the side of the windshield and into the cab then?

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't think so. I see it done all the time on other vehicles. I'll just have to dive right in there when I get it...:D

·
Registered
393 Posts
That sounds sweet man! How was the reception with it being down low like that? Any problems? I went on a road trip to FL one time and we had Sirius in the car, but it wasn't "Crystal clear coast to coast" like they advertise. There were times when we couldn't get reception for shit, and that was with the antenna on the roof.
ya my moms 4runner came stock with a 1 year subscription to sirius and the service down right sucks. Parked in front of the house with absolutely no obstructions it will loose signal and going down a street with over hanging branches forget about it, they quality isnt worth the signal drops.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully it won't be that bad for me, we'll see though. At least the unit is gonna be free. Just have to keep the $13/mo subscription going and you can cancel at any time, no contracts or anything. That's pretty cool.

·
NW Surfrider
5,365 Posts
Bro, ive had sirius now for 2 years, and will definatly say that once you hook it up you will never go back to fm. The biggest hint is placement of the antenna. I have the xm antenna in the truck and instead of just using that i routed mine behind the glove box, into the rubber seal along the door, one rap around the antenna to secure and hide it, the run it down the plastic along the edge of the roof. this hides the wire so its not visible. I started with mine right at the front corner, but have since moved it dead center in the back of the cab. you want the reciever as flat on the surface as possible so it gets the "optimum" angle for the sat signal. as for reception, i live in seattle so the repeaters they have here are really good, but even out in the countryside i rarely lose a signal. the only common places you lose it are tunnels and bridges of course. I have this on the rado and the stang. Its worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have Sirius and have no problems with coverage. A buddy had XM and any significant mountain killed his signal, but then XM doesn't cover some areas of Canada that well anyways.

·
Registered
763 Posts
yea i have mine through the 3rd brake light to. seemed to be the best way to me when i looked at every thing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts