Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what do i do!? I saw a member start painting there interior from tan to black and i had the tan interior so i started and i did the whole back wall plus the corner pieces in the extended cab and the floor boards, well i decided i cant finish this project and i suck at painting so im screwed... Anybody got any idea what i can do? I dont have alot of cash at the moment so should i wait and then hire a guy to paint it all or should i buy the stock pieces from the dealership and if so anybody got the part numbers? or what other options do i have?

shit, mods please move this to the interior section

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
y can't u finish it..

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Brake fluid will take the paint off if you want to make the plastic back the stock color. Be careful though because it can melt the plastic also.

P

·
0 Posts
Yeah why cant you just finish it? take your time. Or ask a memeber or a friend to help, def no worth going back though.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Taking off the paint with brake cleaner on plastic is just not a good idea. Like Turbo said you can melt the plastic.. there is a very high chance of this happening.... can you pm me a pic of the interior peices and i will walk you through how to fix the problem and help you complete it..

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im just not confident enough to finish painting the bigger things such as the door panels and the dash, i have no idea how to get the dash off, i read a walkthrough but im nervous about the airbag deploying. Ill post pics tonight and you guys can tell me what you think and if its bad enough ill pm ya silent and you can walk me through.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
no reason to be embarrassed about anything man, we are all here to help. there are TONS of people on here that know their stuff when it comes to painting.

throw some pics up and let us help ya. ;)

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
this is the reason I have been a tad hesitant about starting my stuff... I am a beginner painter am hoping I can pull it off.

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
izzo just slow down and work on one panel at a time, doesnt matter if it takes you month to do it. just work on one till your satisfied. the beautiful thing about paint is that you can sand it down and start over. the best thing to do with interior is to get filler primer and spray and sand, spray then sand. just make sure you clean everything good and go to town. you can always start over.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Im just not confident enough to finish painting the bigger things such as the door panels and the dash, i have no idea how to get the dash off, i read a walkthrough but im nervous about the airbag deploying. Ill post pics tonight and you guys can tell me what you think and if its bad enough ill pm ya silent and you can walk me through.
i am also worried about the whole airbag deployment thing...those thing arent cheap... and id like to paint my interior as well

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
ive takin most my interior peices apart and have painted em.

the door panel i have takin off and smoothed out. i drove around with that thing off for 2 months.

ive takin out and painted my air bag assembly. no big deal. the only way it will deploy is if the CO2 cartiage is punctured. and that only happens if one of the sencors goes off from an accident. also i drove around with it out of the dash for 2 weeks.

right now i have the plastic piece off under the steering wheel smoothing it out.

if you dont like it or you fudged up, just sand it down and start over. the most important thing to remember is to take your time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hopefully this will make you feel better. I am a 37 year old woman who just recently pulled all the interior out of my truck (by myself). I had never pulled the dash out of anything before and I was very nervous, but was determined to do it. I printed the thread on dash removal and proceeded from there. I taped and labeled certain bolts together so I'd remember where they went when I put it back together. I used Krylon Fusion paint as you don't have to use primer. It's made for plastic. I disconnected the battery first as the airbag scared me too. With the battery disconnected, the airbag will not deploy. I did notice there are 6 bolts to the airbag...not 4 as in the thread and I ripped the door off my airbag trying to pry it out. So I learned the hard way and I'm passing this info onto you. I also would recommend dropping the steering column which is only 4 bolts. It makes getting the dash in and out easier. Here are some before and after pics, and pics of the 2 hidden airbag bolts to make sure you don't miss. If you need me, pm me and I can help you further. I just did mine a couple weeks ago so it's all still fresh in my mind. Don't give up man.

Before:

Don't force the airbag. It's not supposed to come apart like this.

Here's where the hidden 2 bolts are behind the airbag. One on each side. You can get to them when you take out the radio and the panel on the passenger side.

This was the scary part...when I looked at the mess I made.

Putting it back together.

The finished product.

You can do this man. I promise.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks guys. Took a total of 3 days. I started pulling dash out on a Wednesday night. Finished pulling it out Thursday night and painted it. Let paint dry over night. Started putting it back together Friday night after work and finished it Saturday morning.

X

·
0 Posts
very nice job Bonnie. the hard part is gettin everything apart. when paintin remember light coats until its covered up so the paint dont run. it will turn out great im sure. just take your time

1 - 20 of 47 Posts