Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I got my hands on some manual bucket seats to replace the old bench that was in my 2007 single cab WT. The problem is that the wiring harness for the passenger bucket seat is different than the one that was on the passenger section of the bench. So I have no way to plug it in and I'm stuck with a pesky airbag light and presumably the passenger airbag is stuck off. Anyone know of an adapter or other solution to this?

·
Premium Member
2,935 Posts
Hey folks, I got my hands on some manual bucket seats to replace the old bench that was in my 2007 single cab WT. The problem is that the wiring harness for the passenger bucket seat is different than the one that was on the passenger section of the bench. So I have no way to plug it in and I'm stuck with a pesky airbag light and presumably the passenger airbag is stuck off. Anyone know of an adapter or other solution to this?
I doubt that there is any kind of adapter available. Messing with airbag wiring can be a bit tricky, but maybe there is a solution. Do you know what model year the donor truck is?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt that there is any kind of adapter available. Messing with airbag wiring can be a bit tricky, but maybe there is a solution. Do you know what model year the donor truck is?
The guy I bought them from said they are from an 05.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just unbolted the whole module from my factory bench and swapped it over to the new buckets. The pressure switch remained and plugged into the rest of my original electronics

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just unbolted the whole module from my factory bench and swapped it over to the new buckets. The pressure switch remained and plugged into the rest of my original electronics
That's what I thought of right after posting haha. I'll have a look at it tonight, luckily I haven't gotten rid of the bench yet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's what I thought of right after posting haha. I'll have a look at it tonight, luckily I haven't gotten rid of the bench yet.
mine was 2 13mm nuts and a couple clips! I actually left the original bucket seat black module under the seat because I couldnt figure out how to remove it (didnt try that hard tbh) and zip tied mine next to it. Still looks/works factory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mine was 2 13mm nuts and a couple clips! I actually left the original bucket seat black module under the seat because I couldnt figure out how to remove it (didnt try that hard tbh) and zip tied mine next to it. Still looks/works factory.
Sounds easy enough, I'll give it a shot when I get home from work. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So update, the reason the harness is different is because this seat doesn't have an airbag sensor at all. Would plugging in the harness with the black box even make a difference? Should I worry about setting off the airbags somehow?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I highly doubt you'll set the airbag off since that circuit just enables the passenger bag to be deployed.
At the very least you can connect your circuitry and just pull the vacuum line off the pressure sensor so that you wont have an airbag light on your dash. This will effectively turn off your passenger air bag though.
Maybe watch a seat reupholstery video to see how the sensor attaches or pull the cover off and look. Its pretty easy to pull back the fabric on the bench by removing the clips (visible in your pic above) Personally I'd give it a shot since I'd like my passengers to live for the most part.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I highly doubt you'll set the airbag off since that circuit just enables the passenger bag to be deployed.
At the very least you can connect your circuitry and just pull the vacuum line off the pressure sensor so that you wont have an airbag light on your dash. This will effectively turn off your passenger air bag though.
Maybe watch a seat reupholstery video to see how the sensor attaches or pull the cover off and look. Its pretty easy to pull back the fabric on the bench by removing the clips (visible in your pic above) Personally I'd give it a shot since I'd like my passengers to live for the most part.
Does look simple enough, if all else fails and I cant remove the diaphragm I suppose I could swap the upholstery from the bottom of the new seats onto the old one since the passenger seat of the bench is essentially a bucket seat anyway. Anyway I spent too much time researching and ran out of daylight so I guess it's a project for tomorrow lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for very very late update but it worked. Swapped all electronics and diaphragm out of the old seat and plopped it all into the new one. This included swapping the seatbelt buckle as it had wiring aswell. Had to do some ziptying to make up for broken or missing mounts but now the sensor works properly. Thanks everyone for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts