Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So, I just made a trip from Pittsburgh to Dover yesterday. About 100 miles into the trip, the SERV TMP message come up. When I pulled over to get gas, the tires seemed fine. The message wasnt there when I started the truck but came back about 10 miles later.

Checked the tire pressure this morning and they are between 30 and 32 psi. Does anyone have an idea what is going on or how to fix it?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
re: "SERV TPM" Message

Do a search. This has been discussed several times.

You get the SERV TPM message when the computer does not receive a signal from one or more of the sensors. This could be caused by the batteries in the sensors getting weak, and not being strong enough to transmit a signal. This common is popular in extremely cold weather, in which batteries perform poorly.

I did not install sensors in my aftermarket wheel setup, so I always have the SERV TPM message on my dash.

·
How d'ya like them apples
941 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So, I should just reset and forget anything happened?

Btw is weak not week

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

Though it's a good idea to check the spare, it typically does not have a sensor in it.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
I would start by double checking the pressure in your tires. Mine were really fussy and all had to be within 1 or 2 lbs. of each other. You need to drive a mile or so before the dash warning message goes away.

Resetting the BCM won't help and your spare tire doesn't have a TPM sensor.

It's possible that the battery in one of the sensors is weak and requires replacement. You'll need to go through the TPMS reset procedure (it's in your owner's manual) to determine which sensor is faulty.

If you swap tires often the Kent-Moore EL-50448 TPMS tool ($69) comes in handy. Your GM dealer will charge you $100 just to diagnose a TPMS issue.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts

You may need to swing by a dealership to have them scan for codes. Their readers can determine which tire is not playing nicely.

I THINK they can tell which tire is the culprit. Perhaps a relearn. Perhaps new batteries. Perhaps resetting the BCM. Could be a few different things.
What year is the truck? More likely a battery is dead if the truck is older.

·
How d'ya like them apples
941 Posts
I would listen to Rich on this issue

·
Registered
634 Posts
I just push that little reset button one time and it goes away. Mine do this every thousand miles or so and when I took it in a couple times the pressure read fine so my truck has cried wolf one too many times for me. If it's the real deal one time I also have AAA lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haven't had the message come up with everyday driving around town. Just going to let it go for right now. Could this message pop up due to the increased pressure in the tire from the long drive?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't go by the door jam info because that's for OEM tires. I'm running Michlems and the manufacture recommends no more than 50psi. I run 40psi because when they done nitrogen fill they allow for expansion and put 38psi in them. then I monitored tread wear and went to 40psi because of some minor outside tread wear.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Haven't had the message come up with everyday driving around town. Just going to let it go for right now. Could this message pop up due to the increased pressure in the tire from the long drive?
It could be possible. The sensor reads if the tire is under inflated. Over inflated. And if there is a differential in pressure between one and the others. I think it is 4lbs but don't quote me on that. I've had mine at 28 and 32 and there is no light.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts