Administrator
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A/C - Blower Motor Chirping/Clicking On Low Speed

Bulletin No.: 06-01-38-001A
Date: January 19, 2007
TECHNICAL
Subject:
Excessive blower motor Clicking/chirping/whirring or Ticking Noises on Low Speed (Install Blower Motor Sound Insulator Cover)

Models:
2005-2007 Chevrolet Colorado
2005-2007 GMC Canyon

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2007 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-01-38-001 (Section 01 - HVAC).
Condition
Some customers may comment on excessive or annoying blower motor noise on low fan speed. Sounds may include ticking, chirping, clicking or whirring noises.
Cause
The blower motor is located within the vehicle under the passenger side lower IP. This location, while allowing for increased serviceability, does not offer much isolation from blower motor noise.

Correction:
To reduce the noise level from the blower motor, install a blower motor sound insulator cover using the procedure below.
Remove the front passenger door sill molding.
Remove the front passenger side interior kick panel molding.
Remove the front passenger interior floor courtesy light.
Remove the BCM connector facing the blower motor.
Remove the wire retaining metal clip from the BCM harness.

Install the molded insulator to the blower motor. Refer to the above illustration. The insulator may need to be flexed in order to be properly situated on the motor. When the insulator is properly installed, it will be form fitted to the motor and the retainer hole in the cover (1) will align with a hole in the back side of the motor body.
A stud will align with the second hole in the insulating cover. Refer to location (2) in the above illustration, which shows the location of the stud (not visible in photo). Please note the location of the BCM in the photo. This should aid in properly locating the cover.
Use the push-pin to secure the cover in place.
Re-route the BCM harness over the newly installed cover and retain using the metal clip. This should give additional support to the flexible blower motor cover.
Install the front passenger interior floor courtesy light.
Install the front passenger side interior kick panel molding.
Install the front passenger door sill molding.

Parts Information
Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

=====================================================================
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (MTS) presented by
Supermodulation

Project Name
A/C - Blower Motor Chirping/Clicking On Low Speed.

Project Description
Excessive Blower Motor Clicking/chirping/whirring or Ticking Noises on Low Speed.

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: GMC
Model: Canyon
Year: 2006
Engine: I5 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tool Needed
Screw driver

Project Time
10 minutes

Project Cost
$30.00

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is this a warrantee repair? because mine is doing that exact same thing.
Parts Information
Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

Some dealers will honer it, mine didn't so I purchased the parts from gmpartsdirect.com:shrug:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Mine's done this before but it's not a constant problem. Good to know the fix if it ever rears its ugly head permanently though.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
ooo nice to know the fix. 30 bucks though? for just that small insulator and plug? hmm maybe i'll hitup home depot and retro fit something for like 3 or 4 bucks instead....

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Hmm, mines an 04 and does the same thing. I might consider this, but its not on the high priority list.

Nice write up and information!

:supermod: FTW!!!!!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I put this on and mine still makes the annoying noise.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Are you hearing this noise through the vents then? Thats where most of th noise I'm hearing is coming from, but I know its really coming from the blower motor.

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ooo nice to know the fix. 30 bucks though? for just that small insulator and plug? hmm maybe i'll hitup home depot and retro fit something for like 3 or 4 bucks instead....
I'm sure with some ingenuity you can do it inexpensively. Post up some pics if you do it:thumbup:

More likely you have a bad bearing or a bad bushing in these cheap squirrel type blower motors. Try some Teflon lube first!

On a side note, This TSB did resolve my HVAC annoying motor sound issues.
At first I thought it was coming from my suspension lift or a bad wheel bearing.:fly:

Thanks for the kind words guys. Hope these Service Bulletins can help our fellow 355's!

:supermod2:

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Are you hearing this noise through the vents then? Thats where most of th noise I'm hearing is coming from, but I know its really coming from the blower motor.

Yeah - it's from the blower through the vents.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
More likely you have a bad bearing or a bad bushing in these cheap squirrel type blower motors. Try some Teflon lube first!
I agree, the bearings are weak sauce. Made in some third world country... They are sealed, so you would need to tap a hole through the plastic to get some sort of grease in there.... My 2004 Canyon had this chirp, I traded her in, problem solved. :lol2:

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I agree, the bearings are weak sauce. Made in some third world country... They are sealed, so you would need to tap a hole through the plastic to get some sort of grease in there.... My 2004 Canyon had this chirp, I traded her in, problem solved. :lol2:
Maybe I'll trade mine in then:ugh:

yeah..........no way in hell thats happening...lol

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Maybe I'll trade mine in then:ugh:

yeah..........no way in hell thats happening...lol
Ok, I will be serious.. There is probably an updated part number for a new HVAC fan motor by now... Peeps will need to check it out. :shrug:

At the time I owned my 2004, there was no solution except replace the defective bearing with a newer defective bearing..... :) I had to get the Crew Cab for the growing family... So it was a "no brainer" to trade up. :thumbup:

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Ok, I will be serious.. There is probably an updated part number for a new HVAC fan motor by now... Peeps will need to check it out. :shrug:

At the time I owned my 2004, there was no solution except replace the defective bearing with a newer defective bearing..... :) I had to get the Crew Cab for the growing family... So it was a "no brainer" to trade up. :thumbup:
Luckly I mostly drive around with my windows down:shrug:

Thankfully I bought a CC over the XC I was going to get.

Like today me and a few guys from work went out for lunch and I had room for all of us; my buddies reg cab Ram was not going to cut it!

Sorry for the off topic

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
i just thinking "hmm i havent noticed anything in a long time...maybe this problem went away"....nope it didnt go away i just havent used the a/c since prob last september haha. damn new hampshire...

THOUGHT: would covering the motor in dynamat do the same thing?

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
i just thinking "hmm i havent noticed anything in a long time...maybe this problem went away"....nope it didnt go away i just havent used the a/c since prob last september haha. damn new hampshire...

THOUGHT: would covering the motor in dynamat do the same thing?
This noise is prevalent on Fan setting 1 and sometimes 2...

My 2004 hvac fan motor:

Insulate the base of the HVAC fan motor (bearing- towards the floor).

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts