Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Bulletin No.: 04-06-04-047H
Date: June 24, 2008

Subject: TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline (Deposits, Fuel Economy, No Start, Power, Performance, Stall Concerns) U.S. Only

Models:
2009 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn) (U.S. Only)
2003-2009 HUMMER H2 (U.S. Only)
2006-2009 HUMMER H3 (U.S. Only)
2005-2009 Saab 9-7X (U.S. Only)

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add model years and additional sources to the Top Tier Fuel Retailers list. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-047G (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System). In Canada, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04-022D.

A new class of fuel called TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is appearing at retail stations of some fuel marketers. This gasoline meets detergency standards developed by six automotive companies. All vehicles will benefit from using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline over gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Those vehicles that have experienced deposit related concerns may especially benefit from the use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

^ (1) Intake valve: 10,000 miles with TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline

^ (2) Intake valve: 10,000 miles with Legal Minimum additive

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada

What is TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a new class of gasoline with enhanced detergency. It meets new, voluntary deposit control standards developed by six automotive companies that exceed the detergent requirements imposed by the EPA.

Where Can TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Be Purchased?

The TOP TIER program began on May 3, 2004 and many fuel marketers have joined the program and have introduced TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. This is a voluntary program and not all fuel marketers will offer this product. Once fuel marketers make public announcements, they will appear on a list of brands that meet the TOP TIER standards.

Where Can I find the Latest Information on TOP TIER Fuel and Retailers?

On the web, please visit Top Tier Gasoline for additional information and updated retailer lists.

Who developed TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards were developed by six automotive companies: Audi, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen.

Why was TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline developed?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline was developed to increase the level of detergent additive in gasoline. The EPA requires that all gasoline sold in the U.S. contain a detergent additive. However, the requirement is minimal and in many cases, is not sufficient to keep engines clean. In order to meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards, a higher level of detergent is needed than what is required by the EPA. Also, TOP TIER was developed to give fuel marketers the opportunity to differentiate their product.

Why did the six automotive companies join together to develop TOP TIER?

All six corporations recognized the benefits to both the vehicle and the consumer. Also, joining together emphasized that low detergency is an issue of concern to several automotive companies.

What are the benefits of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help keep engines cleaner than gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Clean engines help provide optimal fuel economy and performance and reduced emissions. Also, use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help reduce deposit related concerns.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
so the difference is that the valve on the left has been cleaned/wiped off, whereas the vlave on the left has just been pulled from the engine without being wiped off.

does anyone else remember seeing these same valves from the Valvoline commercials?

EDIT: i just looked again. it appears that the valve on the left is new, the one on the right has been used.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Which fuel grade should we be using in our trucks? I've always thought premium to be better, but reading here and the other site leads me to believe we should be using 87 octane.

Personally, I've used both and can't notice a difference...

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Which fuel grade should we be using in our trucks? I've always thought premium to be better, but reading here and the other site leads me to believe we should be using 87 octane.

Personally, I've used both and can't notice a difference...
87 for stock tuned computer

·
Registered
11 Posts
i pick up 2 mpg using 93. that's just with a cai

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use Shell fuel as my primary filling station, it is a TOP TIER GM recommended fuel.
I select 89 octane because that is what my PCM is tuned to.
I would use 87 octane if I was NOT tuned to a higher grade.

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada

·
Bagged Bomber
10,952 Posts
my GFs dad is a chemical engeneir for Exxon and all he pumps into his car is chevron gas. He says the additives in that gas make it the best.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use quicktrip because of the quickstart card that lets me pump and then pay.
I love chevron because of the techron additive.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
hmm maybe i'll consider texaco or shell next time. not many of them around here (and none of the others on that list). i use gulf gas cuz its like 10cents cheaper all the time.

R

·
0 Posts
I heard not to use 93 octane unless your tuned to it or driving a sports car. Becuase 1theres really no need for it in our trucks and 2 youll just burn up the valves. I personally run 87 and then Ill switch for a short while to 89 and the back to help clean out the system from what its use to and I notice a difference.

·
Administrator
6,650 Posts
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Here's the updated list as of today:

USA
76 Stations
Aloha Petroleum
Chevron
Conoco
Country Mark
Entec Stations
Exxon
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mileage Stations
Mobil
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Rebel Oil
Road Ranger
Severson Oil
Shell
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.
U.S. Oil

Canada
Chevron Canada
Esso
PetroCanada
Shell Canada
Sunoco Canada

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
Always shell or mobil for me and my motor is pretty damn clean inside I drop my dad's fiber optic scope in there every now and then and check on things.

·
Administrator
6,650 Posts
Since I've been tuned, I've always run 89 octane Shell, Exxon/Mobil and in worst case scenarios, Sunoco

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm a bit puzzled why Sunoco Canada is a Top-Tier, but not Sunoco in USA. I'm surrounded by Sunoco's and theyre usually cheaper than Exxon or Shell.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
i use GULF 87 octance. its $3.55 a gallon right now lol guess its bad gas but been fine for 73k so far :shrug:

·
Big Brother Owner
1,808 Posts
Im a *******, so I use Sunoco 93 in my SS because its NASCARs race fuel. No really, its just the best that I have around me.

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
I say it is all a bunch of crap, the only difference in the gasoline around here is the additives that are put in it, because it all comes from two suppliers, one in Bainbridge, and, one right here in town. My friend Kyle is the fleet manager and rep for the place in bainbridge, and he has chevron, texaco, shell, inland, Pantry, flash, BP and conoco stores that his drivers deliver to. All the gas that they get comes from a refinery in LA. The only difference in the gas itself is the additives that are put in it. And like was said earlier, the best additives are in the Chevron stuff.

:shrug:

I still say that stretching the legs on a nice warm engine to blow anything that might try to build up out of the combustion chamber/off the valves on a regular basis is more important than what fuel you use. I beat the snot out of my truck and now with 115k miles of usually grocery store gasoline, it's still running like a champ.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Top Tier Gasoline
Here's the updated list as of today:

USA
76 Stations
Aloha Petroleum
Chevron
Conoco
Country Mark
Entec Stations
Exxon
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mileage Stations
Mobil
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Rebel Oil
Road Ranger
Severson Oil
Shell
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.
U.S. Oil

Canada
Chevron Canada
Esso
PetroCanada
Shell Canada
Sunoco Canada

There are a decent amount of options available for most peeps. Thanks for the update, Matt! :thumbup:

Quality of fuel is important when you have the correct tools to monitor the engines operating condition... It just makes sense to follow GM's recommendation for fuel as you would for engine oil viscosity (GM recommendation).

If there is not a station in your area that is listed, I am sure the gasoline they sell will run in the truck but how well... More than likely not optimal performance but it works none the less.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts