1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Bulletin No.: 08-06-05-003A

Date: May 30, 2008
Subject:
Rattle Noise from Under IP, Underhood, Under Vehicle, Heat Shield Rattle (Install Hose Clamp Around Heat Shield)

Models:
2007 - 2008 Chevrolet Colorado
2007 - 2008 GMC Canyon
2007 - 2008 HUMMER H3

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to remove the engine RPO information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-05-003 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a rattle noise from under the IP, hood or vehicle, which may be difficult to locate.

Cause

The heat shield located just above the catalytic converter may be the cause. The shield has a metal strap on the rear (lower) (2) side of the shield and a tack weld on the front (upper) (1) part of the shield. The front weld may be broken and the front lower edges of the shield may rattle against the exhaust pipe.

Correction

Technicians are to add a clamp, (1) P/N 10186112, or any other hose clamp with an approximate diameter of 88 mm (3-1/2 in), around the depressed section of the shield at the location of the front weld.

·
NW Surfrider
5,365 Posts
So it says 07-08 but isnt this the cause on earlier years also? Wonder if that part would work on a 04.....

·
Registered
661 Posts
werent people having problems with the antenna rattling around in side the passenger fender as well??
You know what, now that you bring that up I was trying to take of my antenna the other day but it was just spinning. Could this be another reason for the rattling?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
You know what, now that you bring that up I was trying to take of my antenna the other day but it was just spinning. Could this be another reason for the rattling?

Yes. Fuck the 5 character minimum.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Also as I found out in my case it was not a heat shield at all. The O2 sensor((rear)2004) had backed out some and was rattling like hell.

Yes, super easy fix, tighten it up with a 15mm wrench!

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it says 07-08 but isnt this the cause on earlier years also? Wonder if that part would work on a 04.....
Says 07-08 to cover the 3.7L which has that new heat shield. Your year does not have that heat shield that is described in this particular bulletin.

thanks Gerry, hope thats the cause of my rattle.
Wuz it? :shrug:

I have a rattle at 2000 rpm's only that sounds a lot like metal on metal... i think i found the problem...but i have an 04?
Check out this thread for your issue:
http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-...983-how-diagnose-repair-exhaust-rattle-s.html

·
Ron Lopes
1,198 Posts
My 04 use to make snapping sounds after I shut the truck off. Good info thanks!
The snapping you are referring to is the exhaust shrinking back to size, on average you exhaust can "swell" for lack of a better term, 2-3inches when it reaches operating temperature, as it cools you hear the "snapping, tinging, ping" of the pipes shrinking

·
Big Brother Owner
1,808 Posts
I'll have to check mine out and see if it is what I am hearing.

Nice to see that you have quoted my line Gerry

·
Ron Lopes
1,198 Posts
hey opie, on an off note, did you cut and mod that brush guard to not cover your lights or is it a high bull bar?

·
Registered
85 Posts
i got a 4 cylinder that doesnt have the long heat shield..but. i have a low rattle at only low rpms it sounds for sure its an exhaust problem i checked all the heat shields and dont see problems... it sounds like its coming from the exhaust can itself or the cat. does anybody else have this problem 4 cylinder z85 reg cab?????

·
Bagged Bomber
10,954 Posts
what does this rattle sound like? Ive got a really bad one thats really deep and happens when Im stopped at a light. It doesnt happen all the time but it happens quite a bit and its really loud.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Working on finding the rattle on my 07 3.7, only happens under power at 1800 rpm, definitely sounds like its coming from the exhaust under the pass seat. but my truck does not have that heat shield... still looking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts