Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Almost 2 years ago I bought a 2005 Canyon SLE Z71 with the 3.5L. It has been a great truck and still is, however yesterday it was required of me to do a *cough* very *cough* hard acceleration and it red lined a few times. First time I have pushed it that hard. That was in the morning on the way to work. After work I started the truck to leave and my SES light came on and I also noticed a slightly rougher idle. I took it to Autozone today to get the codes checked and it came up with multiple misfires on cylinder #5. The employee suggested I replace the coil since I just replaced the plugs about 20k miles ago.

I googled around a bit and found this post from quite a while ago: http://www.355nation.net/forum/i4-i5-engine-drivetrain/42710-cylinder-misfire.html

Does anyone have experience with this issue and know if the bulletin mention in that thread (04-06-04-081C) is still in effect? I will admit I don't know how they work and if they have expiration dates or anything of the sort. It's a 2005 (so 10-11 years old) and has nearly 140k miles so maybe there is an age or mileage cut off as well?

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated! Thank you!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
I would test the coil and when were the plugs last changed?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
Did you use platinum or Iridium replacement plugs?

These motors run way better with the Iridium plugs. I bought my truck new in 2004 and the factory plugs were smoked at 27k

·
Registered
14 Posts
Disconnect the battery, swap the #5 coil with the #4 and see if the problem moves to the #4 cylinder. If it does, replace the coil. Or you can just do what Autozone suggested.
Having the same issue and swapped coils last night and the cyclinder code did not move with the coil. Since having the misfire issue I have replaced all the plugs, cleaned the throttle bottle, cleaned the MAF, replaced the air filter and replaced hose that is connected to the resonator box (my was oily and cracking). Any other suggestions or am I down to pressure test? I have an 07 with 117K miles and since it was an 07 thought I would be clear of the 04-06 leak issue. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts