Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to install a 2" lift shackle which should be arriving today. This weekend is perfect to get these installed because I should have a couple free days which is pretty rare for me. After searching through the forum it looks like the consensus is that I need to install different shocks as well. I was not aware of this until recently so I do not have the shocks on hand and it looks like I will have a hard time getting them locally. My question is, can I run the shackle without the shocks for a little while until I can order them and have them shipped?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I don't think raising the rear 2" will cause you problems. Also, you can get shock extenders that are similar concept as the 2" lift shackles. Basically, you are creating more distance between the frame and the axle. The potential problem is that the shocks will not extend enough to handle the lift and shocks will over extend and come apart. Instead of the shocks "bottoming out", I guess you would say they could "top out"!
I've raised my rear end about 2" using helper springs and I've never had my shocks extent to their limitations. I'd look at an auto parts store for shock extenders or just go with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Turns out I found some rancho shocks that should work, RS55190 looks like the replacement for the RS5190. Probably going to go with that. Figure I’m going to be under there anyway and the truck could probably use new shocks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mission accomplished. I ended up not getting new shocks. Went pretty well, no stuck shackle bolts. came out super easy. Installed shackles, dropped the differential, jacked the front a bit more and got an alignment today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts