Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Shave the door, you'll need a solenoid kit and keyless entry...you should also have a back, manual switch in case of batter failure.

Personally, I've never done it, but if you're already wired for power locks, etc, it shouldn't be too horrible.

Here's most of the stuff you'll need, but I'm sure that StreetBeat can beat the price:

http://www.airbagit-store.com/product.asp?returnURL=default.asp&ID=102618
just remember, you are going to also need the filler plates and time to do the shaving itself. Plan on either having a secondary ride or a weekend to waste while the truck is under construction

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i allready have power door locks and keyless entry... am i gonna have to have 2 remotes... one for my doors and one to disarm the stock alarm??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nope...they should be able to tie in the unlocking and popping...I think. :shrug:

something you'd have to ask your installer dude.

·
Registered
98 Posts
if you shave your doors, the ONLY kit you should buy is from autoloc! do not buy any other brand... Autoloc kicks ass they are pretty much the only brand ive delt with n not had problems with... and also uf you gonna shave your handles yourself dont worpe (cant spell?) your door by getting the metal to hot. do spot welds about every 4-5 inches apart then repeat...

·
Registered
297 Posts
yeah be careful not to warp the metal. my welder man warped my tailgate and i had to fix it myself. it was a bitch but in the end it came out like a champ.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
if you shave your doors, the ONLY kit you should buy is from autoloc! do not buy any other brand... Autoloc kicks ass they are pretty much the only brand ive delt with n not had problems with... and also uf you gonna shave your handles yourself dont worpe (cant spell?) your door by getting the metal to hot. do spot welds about every 4-5 inches apart then repeat...
X2...

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
i did my s-10 in a weekend myself w/ the help of some buddies and several cases of beer.

you can do it yourself i mean as long as you have the skills, time, and materials. its really not hard that hard just time consuming.

where are you located b/c the winter can be a bitch. i was in IN and every winter was a battle tryin to get the doors opened. ya the selionds would freeze but would unfreeze after a couple hits of the button. its trying to get the ice loose around the trim of the door and opened as the seliond is unlatching the door.

·
Nation Affiliate
1,005 Posts
How much harder would it be without the power locks and all cause i dont have them and want to shave mine.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
you could still do it without the power locks... cuz "technically" the doors couldnt open without the remote... i wouldnt however do it without locking the doors.

I think it would be way more benificial to throw in power locks before you do it.

·
Mr. Under Construction
784 Posts
power lock for sure and you might want to get with a good body man unless you have skillz...yeah you could prolly make it look good...but in body work good isnt perfect :)

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Yea Autoloc is the way to go. You can get complete kits for pretty cheap. And like stated do spot welds ever few inches alternating sides of the filler plate as you do them. If you want it to look good this isnt really something id advise you to do yourself though unless you are comfortable using a welder and doing body work. If you dont get the body smooth especially on something as flat as our doors it will look like shit.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I heard of guys getting like old doors from the junk yard and using them as "skins" so that the body lines match exactly when covering up the holes where the handles were... :shrug: but finding a 355 at the junkyard isnt very common, correct me if im wrong.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts