Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, long time troller here. This forum has provided a wealth of knowledge just not on this one. I'm stumped. I have a 2005 I5 crew xtreme. The truck just turned 100,000 on the clock and I'm starting to get a suddle vibration around the 2000 rpm range shifting from 1st to 2nd. I read possibly the selonoid, the weird thing is that it doesn't do it when cold only when it warms up and not all the time. Any ideas on this one? I checked the shaft and didn't notice anything in particular.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Never heard of a solenoid giving vibration problems. Usually they are go/no go. Find out what applies on the 1-2 shift, band, clutch pack, sprag ect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem. It was after i put a 2" lift on but still the vibration is there. If i hear of anything i will pass it on to you.

My truck is a
4cyl automatic 2wd

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Hey everyone, long time troller here. This forum has provided a wealth of knowledge just not on this one. I'm stumped. I have a 2005 I5 crew xtreme. The truck just turned 100,000 on the clock and I'm starting to get a suddle vibration around the 2000 rpm range shifting from 1st to 2nd. I read possibly the selonoid, the weird thing is that it doesn't do it when cold only when it warms up and not all the time. Any ideas on this one? I checked the shaft and didn't notice anything in particular.
I would drop the pan down and remove the 1-2 accumulator housing to see if the walls are scored or seal is leaking.

While it's removed check the piston for cracks or see if its stuck cocked in the bore and check the spring inside for breakage.

Also change the trans fluid & filter screen while the pan is removed.

I have the same problem. It was after i put a 2" lift on but still the vibration is there. If i hear of anything i will pass it on to you.

My truck is a
4cyl automatic 2wd
Your problem could be the driveshaft angle if it occurred after the lift.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Honestly it's probably not anything to do with the transmission they normally don't cause vibration, they just slip then let go. My guess is your u-joints.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Freeb, thanks for the insight. I have been searching high and low on the net for a solution. I was kinda starting to lean that way. Will this work?

Amazon.com: Sonnax 4L60 4L60E 4L65-E & 4L70-E Pinless Accumulator Piston Kit: Automotive
Those work good on the higher mileage 100K+ vehicles but you have to remove the guide pin and install one of those ball bearings in its place.

Honestly it's probably not anything to do with the transmission they normally don't cause vibration, they just slip then let go. My guess is your u-joints.
If you have a two piece driveshaft this is highly likely to be a vibration problem during low speed hard acceleration.

You would need to remove the driveshaft and inspect the U-joints for any binding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the vibration even at slow acceleration. It's my understanding that if u- joints are on the way out there would be a vibration throughout the whole gear/power band?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Freeb, are there instructions with this? I have done suspension work and engine work on previous cars, trucks just never a transmission. I honestly feel slightly overwhelmed.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
U-joints can cause vibration at select areas of the rpm range and powerband. Last failure I had it only vibrated between 40-45 everywhere else was fine. If your driveshaft is 2 piece it could also be the carrier bearing because that will wobble and could be intermittent. I honestly don't see how the accumulator could in any way cause a vibration, it would just mess with the shifting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FreeB, I just ordered the parts. That yellow bullet links' first posting is exactly what is happening to mine. Hopefully the parts will be in before the weekend, so I can swap it out and give an update. Thanks for the help and insight.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Shutter means it's slipping and not engaging the gear right away, not vibrating. That would be the line pressure dropping and the gear drags to engage. The accumulator will either bang the gear in or cause it to slip because it only controls fluid pressure. Vibration would be from a rotating assembly coming out of balance.

·
Registered
520 Posts
U-joints can cause vibration at select areas of the rpm range and powerband. Last failure I had it only vibrated between 40-45 everywhere else was fine. If your driveshaft is 2 piece it could also be the carrier bearing because that will wobble and could be intermittent. I honestly don't see how the accumulator could in any way cause a vibration, it would just mess with the shifting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts