Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good lord! I'm not looking for Off Road Race Truck Suspension products!! I'm just trying to find something above the standard yellow bilsteins. These king shocks start around $775!! The Bilsteins I'm looking at start around $300. I hope whoever has King shocks has sponsors!!!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Good lord! I'm not looking for Off Road Race Truck Suspension products!! I'm just trying to find something above the standard yellow bilsteins. These king shocks start around $775!! The Bilsteins I'm looking at start around $300. I hope whoever has King shocks has sponsors!!!
get bilstein 5165s !! They are a good medium between the standard shocks and the super high end stuff!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the reply OJwerks but I spent time on the phone with bilstein and they were not so sure that any of their shocks besides the HD yellows would work with the stock suspension. So last month I bit the bullet and bought the Bilstein HD yellows. The good news is I really like them! They are a little stiff on harsher impacts but over small bulbs and more gradual road surface changes they are even softer than the factory shocks, while still being more stiff in the corners!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Thanks for the reply OJwerks but I spent time on the phone with bilstein and they were not so sure that any of their shocks besides the HD yellows would work with the stock suspension. So last month I bit the bullet and bought the Bilstein HD yellows. The good news is I really like them! They are a little stiff on harsher impacts but over small bulbs and more gradual road surface changes they are even softer than the factory shocks, while still being more stiff in the corners!
Oh I was not aware you had stock suspension on it, no lift net even cranked T-Bars?? Because with cranked T-bars the shocks for lifted applications will work.... anyways good to see you are happy with the HD's. Those really are great shocks, ive had them in 3 cars and always been very happy with them, not to mention their durability is amazing.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Ok, I apologize in advance if this has been addressed elsewhere already.... (awaiting the dreaded "USE THE SEARCH FEATURE" comments).... I'm fairly new at modding vehicles, and have learned a lot from this forum already.... but I'm looking into the whole TB crank/Shackles/shocks upgrade how-to on cfans..... was wondering if this would be a moot point if 6 months down the road I can convince my bank acct to support the 4" rancho lift.... wouldn't the lift kit require different shocks or would the suggested shocks for the tb crank/shackle how-to still work? Don't want to spend money on this simple upgrade if I can just save it for the 4" later....

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Wow.... still no responses... been putting off the rest of the upgrades so I wouldn't shoot myself in the foot... Just need to know if I should go ahead and order the shocks listed in the TB-Shackle upgrade or just wait and get the lift.

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
You will need longer shocks for the front on a 4 inch lift kit. I would not use the Shocks listed for a 4 inch lift kit without the kit installed. Just order the kit and the shocks at the same time and do it all at once.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
So I know alot of you have done the soa conversation and after u have starting doing research and found that it's kind of a pain to find shocks for soa trucks and still keep the stock upper shock pin design. So after talking to danny and Tyler about this danny found a rather cheap alternative that gets ride of the shock pin design and always you to run the normal eye end upper shock mount. These are not direct fit but with very little grinding they fit like a champ and work great.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have some rancho 5500x but dont care for them as they are abit spongy. I have about a 3 inch crank. I dont really like the yellow bilstiens. Anyone know What silver bilsteins will/if work for the front?

·
Registered
2007 Colorado LT Z85 3.7, 4" Rancho lift, Pro-Comp struts, Airlift rear bags
26 Posts
I've got part numbers for ProComp es9000 Nitrogen filled shocks.

They give wrong information through their web interface and the sales guy didn't know what to get me. I figured out how to decode their numbering system and ordered up some shocks to fit with my Rancho 4" lift.

For the fronts you also need their mounting adapters to convert to a shock with loop (or eyelet) mounting on both ends. They come with all the adapters needed for the rear upper mount and different urethane/rubber mounts and inserts for various bolt sizes.

I did have to trim the urethane bushing and steel insert for the front lower mount because they are about 1/2" too wide (I used a Sawzall and a decent carbide metal blade).

Front: 919506 (Don't forget to get the upper mount adapters)
Rear: 924509

These shocks might also work without any lift. Visually there seems to be enough travel.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts