Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Quad cab Canyon. I've decided on a 2/3 drop. what's the most efficient way of doing this taking into consideration ride quality, handling, etc?

I'm looking at belltech's suspension guide and it has me a little confused. Am I correct in saying that there are multiple ways they offer of getting the same drop? If so, what is the difference between them?

Would 2" ball joints up front and 3" leaf in the back be correct? What about blocks, why are they so cheap? What do you sacrifice?

And I see them mention of springs and shocks, but they don't seem mandatory, can you drop without replacing springs and shocks?

Somebody clear this all up for me please.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
the cheapest easiest way is to do coils and blocks. for a 2/3 on a Z85 I don't see any reason to do anything different. You dont need shocks for either front or back with a 2/3.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
i have beltech drop BJ's and 3 inch blocks.

there are many difrent ways to drop the truck

springs blocks
springs and leafs
bj and blocks
bj and leafs
drop control arms and blocks
drop control arms and leafs

but the drop arms are 3inch of drop
and ur blocks are 2-4inch of drop
the leafs are i beleave 3 inch of drop
the bjs are 2inch of drop
and the springs are 1-2 inch of drop.

·
0 Posts
i have the zq8 package and did 2" blocks in the rear and the shocks are shot killed my ride i hope it improves with new shocks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the cheapest easiest way is to do coils and blocks. for a 2/3 on a Z85 I don't see any reason to do anything different. You dont need shocks for either front or back with a 2/3.
does everyone agree with this? Anybody have this set up on a crew cab and have pictures and experiences?

edit: would that be the Bell Tech kit #1181?

X

·
0 Posts
i would say coilovers and blocks... thats what i have and i like em... :shrug:

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
keep in mind that leaf spring drop doesn't provide the best ride in the back. those leafs are somewhat stiffer.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
actually you can get 4201 springs and those blocks from performancecenter.com for about $149 i think. The 4201 springs are the 2" drop coils for crew cabs.

I'm also concerned with the performance of the truck. This is the first truck I've owned after having gone through a Pontiac GTP and a Jaguar.

Will a ball joint and leaf spring set up handle noticeably better than a coil and block set up?

·
Registered
484 Posts
im running blocks and they make my ride much stiffer n such i need advice for the front for i only have blocks in the back and the front is stock.(i think) and am confused on what to do for it because it came lowered from the lot and i dont want to buy a kit that will add to that drop and make it to low to where i will be scraping t/c over small dips n such help would be greatly appreciated thx!

J

·
0 Posts
i have belltech 2 springs in the front and a 3" block in the rear. the block makes the ride a little bumpy, but hell, it's worth the look. i can deal with a little more bumpes to have the look i have now, just me though :shrug:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
blocks should NOT change the ride unless you changed the rear shocks or your hitting bump stops...did you trim them? because its still the stock springs and shocks and the bottom mount is in the same spot.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I'm also concerned with the performance of the truck. This is the first truck I've owned after having gone through a Pontiac GTP and a Jaguar.

Will a ball joint and leaf spring set up handle noticeably better than a coil and block set up?
Well you shoulda started with that :D

If you can afford the coilovers get them for handling, I think about $500 for the cheapest front ones. The ball joints won't really help the handling besides the lower center of gravity. If you cant spring the coilovers, get some shocks with the springs. The rear leafs would probably handle better than blocks.

Most of the handling performance improvement comes from lower center of gravity and getting rid of the shitty 225/75-15 tires.

J

·
0 Posts
blocks should NOT change the ride unless you changed the rear shocks or your hitting bump stops...did you trim them? because its still the stock springs and shocks and the bottom mount is in the same spot.
my bump stops are being raped right now :D until i get my exhaust fixed i can't take em off or else my pipes would be bent shut. lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts