Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a sirius xm radio for christmas and i want to hard wire everything and do a clean install. do i have to stick the antenna they provide on the roof? and also anyone have any good mounting places ? Thanks!

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
From the factory GM mounted the antenna on the passenger side of the roof. Its about 3" and an oblong shape. I can get you a picture of it when I go out next.

I have seen some aftermarket antennas that go along the windshield, if you want to keep everything inside.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea picture would be great and where did you mount the radio it self on the inside

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
XM Radio is line of sight from the satellite. So you can't hide it or it will affect your reception. I placed mine in the center of the roof close to the windshield molding. I ran the wire under the rubber molding and brought it out just at the center. I also used a wire holder to keep the wire flat. Never had any problem with it there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is how i set my satellite radio up..ran all wires under the door seals/ scuff plate..and behind/ under the glove box, to finally come out the radio trim to connect to the receiver

Attachments

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
When I installed my Sirius module I went a bit of a different route on the antenna. I actually bought a Sirius antenna from a junked Dodge Journey, an extension cable, pulled my headliner, and mounted the antenna centered on the back of my roof about six inches forward of the edge. Measured four times, drilled one hole, painted the edges of the hole to keep it from rusting, and mounted the antenna. It looks like a factory item, I don't have this strange (to me at least) off-center antenna, I don't have any wires going through weatherstripping, and it works great going on 4 years now.

There was a How-To I'm trying to find right now that I got the idea from. Can't remember if it was here or on Cfans.

As for the radio, can't help you there as I still have a stock radio and simply got the Audiovox SIRGM1 module.

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
When I installed my Sirius module I went a bit of a different route on the antenna. I actually bought a Sirius antenna from a junked Dodge Journey, an extension cable, pulled my headliner, and mounted the antenna centered on the back of my roof about six inches forward of the edge. Measured four times, drilled one hole, painted the edges of the hole to keep it from rusting, and mounted the antenna. It looks like a factory item, I don't have this strange (to me at least) off-center antenna, I don't have any wires going through weatherstripping, and it works great going on 4 years now.

There was a How-To I'm trying to find right now that I got the idea from. Can't remember if it was here or on Cfans.

As for the radio, can't help you there as I still have a stock radio and simply got the Audiovox SIRGM1 module.
Okay, found the thread. Since I'm not sure if I can link to a Coloradofans thread on this forum, simply Google the following words: coloradofans ugly after market antenna

That one used an antenna from a 2009 Toyota Corolla.

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
Okay, found the thread. Since I'm not sure if I can link to a Coloradofans thread on this forum, simply Google the following words: coloradofans ugly after market antenna

That one used an antenna from a 2009 Toyota Corolla.
I think I have referenced a cfans post or 2 over the last year. Didn't think it would be something that would be forbidden.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
XM Radio is line of sight from the satellite. So you can't hide it or it will affect your reception.
Yes. very very true. i have the factory SXM in my truck. and when i put the roof rack on, it blocked the recepition. i ended up streitching the cable out andmounting the shark-fin ontop of the roof rack.

I use a portable SXM unit in the big rigs when i leave out of the local area. it has a mag-mount hocky puke style antenna. our sleeper truck are plastic/fiberglass roofs, it dont stick. so i sit it on the dash. driving northbound, and the satelite cuts in and out. drive southbound, perfect reception.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts