Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wondering if anyone can give me some info on my size limitations on my 2012 4WD crew cab Z85. Looking to put 265/60r18 with 18x9 xd hoss on stock with no lift. If anyone has any info let me know!!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
What size comes stock on your truck? I forget.
Does the Z85 have 235/70-16?

If so, the new tire is 1.5" taller. If the stock tire is a 75 series, your new selection is barely over 1/2" taller.

The tire should fit but you need to make sure to get an appropriate backspace so the wider tire doesn't rub. When you select the width, we'll check the calculators for that width to see what is a good backspace.

I personally think 9" wide wheels are too wide for a 265. My wheels are 8.5", I think too wide (also with 265 tires). Maybe with the 60 series it is more appropriate.

I always suggest to the buyer to check the tire manufacturer website for an approved width range for the tire you are looking at.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and yes the stock wheels i have are 235/75r16

The rims I am looking at are xd hoss 18x9 with 18mm offset and a Backspace of 5.71" Also I'm looking at 265/60r18 Goodyear wrangler duratracs and the approved with for that size is 7.5-9.5" so i should be in the clear.

Im just hoping that increase of 1.5" isn't too much and will cause rubbing on stock suspension

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Thanks for the reply and yes the stock wheels i have are 235/75r16

The rims I am looking at are xd hoss 18x9 with 18mm offset and a Backspace of 5.71" Also I'm looking at 265/60r18 Goodyear wrangler duratracs and the approved with for that size is 7.5-9.5" so i should be in the clear.

Im just hoping that increase of 1.5" isn't too much and will cause rubbing on stock suspension
That's probably going to be tight. The calculator says it will fit, but I can't wrap my head around it.

I assumed the factory wheel is 6.5" wide and +41 (my 2008 15" wheels are). Compared to 9.0 by +18 offset. It's saying the factory 5.4" backspace is increasing to 5.7" which should in theory pull the wheel in by nearly 1/2" from stock. Combined with the tire width increase, I think you are going to come close to hitting the sway bar. I can get my finger between the sway bar, that's it. Z85, 265/75-16 (31.7").

Interesting that the wheel fits the Duratrac. I have 16", 75 series Duratrac (but taller) and they approve an 8" wide. Because you have less sidewall, it allows for a more square profile I guess. I know the lower profile tires are usually better suited for a wheel a little wider.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah its gunna be close. All the wheel calculators I've also checked say it should work out but i guess I'm just gunna have to find out for sure by trying it haha

And yeah i was surprised too that the duratracs allow that wide of a rim, but thanks for all the input man i appreciate it

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
With that BS, your real issue is going to be the sway bar rub issue. Your better choice is the same wheel with the -12mm offset, and a 4.53 inch backspace, that would eliminate any sway bar issues. Your stock tires should be about 30 inches tall and the new tires according to goodyear are 30.5 inches tall so with the 4.53 inch BS you should not have any rubbing issues.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Does your wheel offer multiple offset values? If so, I'd go for one that stick out a little more. Closer to zero in my opinion. That is more appropriate to proportion with the Z85 (in my opinion). Without the wider flares, it makes the truck appear to be squatting over wide tires that don't fit the truck.

My 8.5" wheels are 5.2" backspace I think.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
08Canyon, I looked at the XD wheel site, there are 4 offsets/ BS'sfor the 18x9 Hoss wheel. That is why I made the suggestion. Moving it out roughly 1 inch will eliminate any rubbing issues. IMO of course.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah they have the -12 offset but I didn't like the look of it.. of course i would have to get fender flares either way but its crazy how increasing the width of the tire wheel set up but 1" total will get me closer to the sway bars. Im looking into a leveling kit also, should make it look a little meaner..

Guess i got some work to do haha thanks for the help guys

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Yeah they have the -12 offset but I didn't like the look of it.. of course i would have to get fender flares either way but its crazy how increasing the width of the tire wheel set up but 1" total will get me closer to the sway bars. Im looking into a leveling kit also, should make it look a little meaner..

Guess i got some work to do haha thanks for the help guys
The only difference in the wheel with the -12 offset is the front is 1" deeper and the back is one inch shallower, otherwise it is exactly the same. By going to a nine inch wide wheel, you increased the width of the wheel by three inches over stock. You increased section width of the tire by 1.25 inches, that is why you will rub the the sway bar when turning. Not to mention, I beleive the stock wheels for your truck are 6" wide, which means they probably do not have a 5.5 inch BS from the factory, probably more like 4.5" on a 6 inch wheel. When I first lifted my truck I kept my stock wheels and went one inch wider and one inch taller on tires and rubbed the sway bar before I reached full lock while turning. Z71 wheels have about a 5.25 or 5.5 BS from the factory and are seven inches wide.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
2008 15" wheels for a Z85 are 6.5" with +41 offset. I do not know if they changed with the 16's. I think the steel wheels on the W/T are 6" wide.

OP, you are doing more than changing the width of the tire by an inch, as indicated by Digem.
It's in addition to the wheel you have chosen pulling it inward. You have reduced the clearance, then taken up the clearance with the wider tire as well.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If your not lifted at all imo id go with a little narrower wheel, you can always use spacers to get out further if you needed to

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
If your not lifted at all imo id go with a little narrower wheel, you can always use spacers to get out further if you needed to
This is a great idea. Eight inch wheel with a 4.5 or 5 inch BS would do nicely on your truck. You could probably even get away with a 5.25 BS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah good point.. thanks for all the help guys I'll post in here what i decide on doing with pictures

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know its been a while but I finally got the set up on my truck.

17x9 XD hoss 18mm offset with 255/65/17 general grabber at2 and zero rubbing.

I can't be more happy with the way these turned out

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts