Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first thing I noticed with my 06' reg. cab is the radio system is crap. Only two speakers..

Soooo.... It needs a major upgrade. I am beginning my research for a system. Leaning towards this setup.

Head unit - Pioneer AVH-X2600BT 6.1" LCD Double-Din Bluetooth Car Stereo

Speakers - Rockford Fosgate PUNCH P165-S 6.5" Component Car Speakers

Mono Amp - Rockford Fosgate PBR300X1 Punch 300W Boosted Rail Monoblock Amplifier

Subwoofer - Rockford Fosgate P3S-1X10 Sealed Truck-Style Enclosure W/ 10" Punch Stage 3 Subwoofer

What else am I missing? Am I on the right track?? I have never installed a audio system before am I over my head?? Thanks guy's for any input.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Re: Skool me on this setup

Chimes retention module wire harness.

I would answer if you are over you head or not, but I can't since I don't know you.

·
Registered
278 Posts

American International GMK422

Metra LC-GMRC-01

Metra 40-GM10

Belva BAK82 (or something similar?)

The above assumes you do not have OnStar.

·
Registered
278 Posts

For a first time installer I would recommend that you at least consider buying from Crutchfield. Price may be a little higher but their support is top notch. You can buy the radio w/installation kit from Crutchfield and the rest from a cheaper source. I bought my first car stereo system from them in 1979.

I would ask around and see if any of your "experienced" friends can help you.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Yeah for a first timer id get some local help i do have that same head unit, love it and the bluetooth is awesome, but all the wiring that goes into a sound system install is time consuming and frustrating

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts

I'm not sure what you will need the support for.....
Make sure to get yourself a nice dash install kit, it makes the job go easier. I have a single DIN unit, but I got my dash kit at the Best Buy Install shop. It is a Metra product. There are some pretty cheapies out there, I'd say stay away from those (unless you hear from others that have had good luck with them). They usually go together better and are more rigid. And give you a better fit/finish.

Follow the directions that comes with each piece of equipment and you should be all set.

The most complicated part of the install is likely going to be getting your crossover to fit in the door panel. It's tight and you've gotta get it in just the right spot.

·
Registered
278 Posts

Get help if possible ... from the start ... not after you realize that you have problems.

I wired my metra LC-GMRC-01 and my radio wiring harness sitting at the kitchen table. Took it to the truck and plugged it in and fired it up.

Did I mention Crutchfield?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts

I have a Pioneer head unit and I purchased it from Sonic and was quite satisfied. In fact the original head unit failed after 3 monthes and Sonic replaced it free and within 3 days. In fact I purchased all my audio equipment from them and have had nothing but good results.

As for the question are you over your head, that depends on your knowledge of wiring and mechanical ability. If you are limited with your mechanical abilities ask someone to help you. WDEagle list a number of things you will need to finish the install. Her are a few more to consider. If you want the best sound install some type of acoustic damping matting. Like dyna mat, fat mat or lizard skin. It will do wonders for the sound and eliminate bass rattle in the doors. Plus you will need a plastic pry tool to help with the center dash removal. Another thing to consider is replacement battery terminals with multi connections. It will make the wiring hook up easier.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Look's like I was missing some crucial pieces!! Thanks for all the info. :salute:

I am really good with my hands and have built a couple of cars from shells. Never did the wiring. Just never had the time. Always just paid for a shop to do with ok results. I know I could have done a cleaner install.

Don't know many people in my area since I am pretty new.

I hear ya on the crutchfield support but tackling this job would make me understand how it all works if I ever had a problem.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,474 Posts

Chimes retention module wire harness.

I would answer if you are over you head or not, but I can't since I don't know you.
Smart ass reply /\ .

Helpful reply \/ . Same but different. :shrug:

I have a Pioneer head unit and I purchased it from Sonic and was quite satisfied. In fact the original head unit failed after 3 monthes and Sonic replaced it free and within 3 days. In fact I purchased all my audio equipment from them and have had nothing but good results.

As for the question are you over your head, that depends on your knowledge of wiring and mechanical ability. If you are limited with your mechanical abilities ask someone to help you. WDEagle list a number of things you will need to finish the install. Her are a few more to consider. If you want the best sound install some type of acoustic damping matting. Like dyna mat, fat mat or lizard skin. It will do wonders for the sound and eliminate bass rattle in the doors. Plus you will need a plastic pry tool to help with the center dash removal. Another thing to consider is replacement battery terminals with multi connections. It will make the wiring hook up easier.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts

+1 on Crutchfield. Sonic is a good company too but Crutchfield support and knowledge is by far above the rest. IF you run into any snags they should be able to help you. They also have install instructions which are usually pretty good that they will include for you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I like crutchfield but just alone they want $279 for the same amp when Sonic is more than a $100 cheaper.

If it was a difference of $10 or so I wouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
278 Posts

I like crutchfield but just alone they want $279 for the same amp when Sonic is more than a $100 cheaper.

If it was a difference of $10 or so I wouldn't have a problem.

I did a quick look and compared Sonic & Crutchfield pricing. The pricing for the head unit and install kit came out pretty close. Sonic blew Crutchfield away for the amp. I contacted Crutchfield last night and asked if they had a discount coupon for new buyers. They gave me a referral code to get $20 off your purchase. Let me know if you end up needing it.

I would buy the head unit and install kit from Crutchfield and the rest of the components from Sonic. That way you will get the best price and support from 2 good companies.

·
pssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
1,999 Posts

picked up a rockford fosgate amp, 300rms, replaced my boss 1100 watt amp, rockford sounds at least 10 times better and louder! good choice to go with! :)

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts

I did a quick look and compared Sonic & Crutchfield pricing. The pricing for the head unit and install kit came out pretty close. Sonic blew Crutchfield away for the amp. I contacted Crutchfield last night and asked if they had a discount coupon for new buyers. They gave me a referral code to get $20 off your purchase. Let me know if you end up needing it.

I would buy the head unit and install kit from Crutchfield and the rest of the components from Sonic. That way you will get the best price and support from 2 good companies.
WDEagle taking charge! hell yeah lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

You sir are the man! This will be a project that will take some time and $

I will take pics once I start gathering all the parts and issues (I hope not)

Thanks again!! :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

WDEagle taking charge! hell yeah lol

No shit! And helping a n00b! (me)

Alot of other forums I've been on in chew n00bs up, but this is different. :drinking28:

·
Registered
278 Posts

You sir are the man! This will be a project that will take some time and $

I will take pics once I start gathering all the parts and issues (I hope not)

Thanks again!! :D
You can start with the head unit and speakers. That should make a big difference. Heck, just replacing the speakers alone should help.

Do the project incrementally as you can afford it. That way you can enjoy the new parts while you save for the future ones.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts