Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just bought a 4"skyjacker lift yesterday I have 16" wheels with 4.75 back spacing. Will these wheels work with the lift or do I have to but 17" wheels

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
If you look at Skyjacker's instructions for the lift it says it requires a wheel with a 4.75 inch backspace. It also says it at their website, right on the page where the descriptions of the lift kits are.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If you look at Skyjacker's instructions for the lift it says it requires a wheel with a 4.75 inch backspace. It also says it at their website, right on the page where the descriptions of the lift kits are.

While Skyjacker claims that will work, you cannot fit a 285 tire with that wheel. Even a 265 will leave almost zero clearance to the upper ball joint.

If you do have a clearance issue, you might be able to get away with using a 1/4" wheel spacer.

The Rancho kit uses the exact same spindles, and Rancho recommends a max backspace of 4.5".

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
The exact measurements are as follows, 265/75/16 section width on a 7.5 inch wheel is 10.5, so if you mount it on a 8 inch wheel it becomes at most a half inch wider. In comparison a 285/75/16 on an eight inch wheel has a section width of 11.3, which at most could be an inch wider on a 16x9 inch wheel. The difference between a 4.5 inch backspace and a 4.75 inch backspace wheel is 1/4 quarter inch further from the spindle. So tell me how this guy, http://www.355nation.net/forum/members/1117-kraco5.html, runs a 285/75/16 procomp on 16x9 witha 4.53 inch backspace, and does not rub the ball joint? IMHO, the federal safety folks would not certify the skyjacker lift if the listed specs were wrong. As long as you have clearance, 1/4 or 1 inch you are not rubbing. Just my opinion based on the math.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The Rancho and Skyjacker kits specify 17'' wheels. RKJ is right on this one. Going down to a 16'' wheel brings the widest part of the tire closer to the upper BJ and results in less clearance. So, to summarize, if you go to a smaller wheel you need less backspacing. Also, there is quite a bit of variability in actual tire section width between brands and tires, so while some 285s might fit, others definitely would not.

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
No, he could not run that tire on a 4.75 bs. Too damn wide. But a 265 should fit all day long.

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
Hell a 275 might even fit with a 16 inch and a 4.75 inch backspace. My original point was their instructions and web page say only that a 4.75 BS is needed. You have to actually open up their catalog and look up a page near the back of the book, to find an actual spec sheet that says a 17 inch is needed. With the right tire on his current wheel, he can clear a skyjacker lift and not have to buy new wheels. I have seen it done. That was his question, that is an actual answer to his question.

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
BTW OP, what tire size is that on your truck in your avatar pic? They look bigger than stock.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
OP left out a critical part of the equation. Sound as if the wheel will fit but depends on the tire size as to whether or not there is potential for a problem.

Perhaps the OP can repost the question with all the necessary information so those guys can more accurately help him.

I'm confident that if he walked into a tire shop and asked that question, one of the first questions back at him would be "what size tire do you want us to install?"

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I ran a 15x8 wheel with 4.5" backspacing and cleared 33x1250

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Just use some 1/4" wheel spacers and you should be good

·
Registered
208 Posts
im running 15x8 rim with 3.75 backspace and a 32x11.5" tire with no issues with the skyjacker

1 - 16 of 16 Posts