Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so about a year and a half ago I had a skyjacker add-a-leaf break into 3 pieces... something that could had ended up in catastrophic failure had I not noticed at the moment I did...

I did not blame skyjacker for this since I was aware at the very poor condition of my Oem leaf pack and the abuse I put them through...

But this time around I have to say that Skyjacker IS to blame and im doubting the quality of every other component installed on my truck that comes from them.... I'll let the picture do the wrest of the talking.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's not uncommon for those short/stiff AALs to break unfortunately. A leaf pack is designed to spread the load over all of the leaves in a progressive manner, so adding one leaf that takes a lot of the load to lift the truck is a set up for failure.

·
"ALL JACKED UP"
2,448 Posts
Hmm, I've beat the living shit out of mine and no prob...........I've had it for about 9 years. I don't know what to say?

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
I thought those were Rancho long AALs you had?

Edit: nevermind, that is tahitiansoul

Time for some k5 52" leafs or do like i did and have a spring shop add a custom bent leaf to the middle of your packs. I gained 1.75" with mine and it stiffened up the rear a little but not nearly as much as a short AAL would.

·
"ALL JACKED UP"
2,448 Posts
I thought those were Rancho long AALs you had?

Edit: nevermind, that is tahitiansoul

Time for some k5 52" leafs or do like i did and have a spring shop add a custom bent leaf to the middle of your packs. I gained 1.75" with mine and it stiffened up the rear a little but not nearly as much as a short AAL would.
Na, Skyjackers.......................:D

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Sas it and be done lol.

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
Did you ever change the leaf pack itself? Just wondering. I know if one aal can give 3"+ on a worn in leaf pack it's seeing a lot more stress than it prolly should. I don't get crazy with mine it just has a lot more load on it sometimes than the truck should really handle. I ditched the skyjacker and did soa with helper bags though, but they limit flex.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry... my phone would not let me upload the picture.... this time around it was not a leaf pack... it was something much worse:

After my add-a-leaf failed.... i threw away my leaf packs all together and put together a custom 7-leaf pack using only a stock main leaf in good condition.

What happened this time is that a huge pothole broke my drivers side spindle... while no damage what so ever was done to the tire or any other component., how the fuck can this happen???

To say that im pissed off at this is an understatement..

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
I got hit head on right into my left front tire and my skyjacker spindle didn't break and my tie rod did, the tire rod mount is the weakest point on the spindle. The car that crossed my lane and hit me was totaled.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Looks to be, simply, poor luck...must've been a pretty big pothole to cause that much damage. Call SkyJacker and see if they will work a solution - good luck!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im calling skyjacker tomorrow and see what they have to say about this... I need to order a replacement asap.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe that one had a weak point from the casting,, or that was a serious pothole lol

You'd expect many other weaker points to fail, not whats suppose to be one of the strongest components in the front end, but I agree with you.

As I expected. skyjacker gave me the run-around with the warranty, I dont have the original receipt on hand, though I do have proof of purchase directly from them 3 years ago through ebay, the fact that its overseas, blah blah... they did give me the choice of filling out some forms and shipping the broken part to them and then wait for a responde, what ever.... im just buying the spindle and get ir over with, its a PITA not being able to move around the truck.

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
I would think receipt should make no difference. Whether you bought it new or from someone else, it has their name and snapped in half during driving.. A few spindle is a lot cheaper than the liabilty issue had you wrecked out

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would think receipt should make no difference. Whether you bought it new or from someone else, it has their name and snapped in half during driving.. A few spindle is a lot cheaper than the liabilty issue had you wrecked out
I agree with you, just shows the bullsh!t company that they are. Im never again buying a skycrapper product.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts