Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey 355. Been browsing around for a few months, then I decided to finally join! So here's the first thread.

I have a pair of KC Slimlites left over front my Jeep. I've been weighing mounting options. Everybody loves pictures, so take a look! Hopefully these posts like IMG pics, that's what I'm used to.

Bumper mount. The easiest IMO, but I don't like the way they stick up on this bumper. I used this method on my WJ, but I'm not sure.

My second possibility is behind the grill. Aesthetically I like this a LOT more. But the grill would obscure some of the light, like in the picture (might not be much, but it will bug me.), and this would be more difficult to mount.

I would love to cut holes in the grill on mount the kc light guards, just to add a more custom look. Thoughts on my first post?

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
My apologies as I didn't see your first post!

If you can live with behind the grill it does look better. I wold recommend not cutting all the way through the sides in your notch as you lose the rigidity of the u-tube and may see some shaking of the lights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My apologies as I didn't see your first post!

If you can live with behind the grill it does look better. I wold recommend not cutting all the way through the sides in your notch as you lose the rigidity of the u-tube and may see some shaking of the lights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I do have to admit it does look good behind the grill. But has anyone cut all the way through to mount light guards? I've done searching, but I can't find any pics.

I realized that after I mounted them, and I have a way to fix it. I'll post pics with a (hopeful) solution.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flipped the mount around and attached some left over steel to fix the piece I cut out. Then added some flat pieces attached to the very ends of the mounts, and mounted the bottom to some conveniently placed factory bolts. Solid.

No shots with them lit up yet, because I can't find the ballasts for the bulbs. Will post pics when I buy a new kit and get them rewired.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Getting closer! The lights do appear a little low in that picture -- is that just an illusion?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting closer! The lights do appear a little low in that picture -- is that just an illusion?
They're a little low, I can't mount them higher because of the center grill mount.

In case anyone is still wondering how these look with hid's I just ordered a new kit.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In case anyone still cares, the hid kit FINALLY arrived. DDM has been going downhill imho. Their products ship from China instead of the US now, and the build quality is getting cheaper. The kit I got for my WJ three years ago is rock solid, and still works. Time will tell if these last.

Middle of the day pics, I'll get some more when it's dark. They're really bright.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Get a GMC Canyon grill and you can center them better

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
The DDM higher wattage kits have been shipped from China for at least the last couple years. While the build quality looks cheap, they have held up as long as the kits are secured well. Only issue I had was with the 'relay harness' -- piece of crap.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you say so, it better last because of all the effort I put into converting them. I made my own harness from scratch to avoid that.

No night pics tonight, been raining.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts