Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive recently done some mods and tuning on my 3.5 colorado and even tho the result was an extra 20hp i was wanting just a little more power in my truck and was looking into turbos. I was wondering if i should install like a 3-5 psi turbo kit im not really wanting to install a bigger one just so i dont have to get intercoolers or fuel pump/injectors etc. I didnt find any projects like this on the site and was wondering if the power gain is worth the time money and effort and of its even a good idea. Thanks in advance

Ps im just looking for an extra 50 hp ish i couldn't find any superchargers for this vehicle eithier.

·
Who dat? Who dere?
333 Posts
Personally, I feel like that would be more of a hassle than it's worth. You're still going to have to make several modifications to the engine. By the time you spend all the time and money you need to get it to run right you're going to wish you had done more.

That's just me though.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Personally, I feel like that would be more of a hassle than it's worth. You're still going to have to make several modifications to the engine. By the time you spend all the time and money you need to get it to run right you're going to wish you had done more.

That's just me though.
Agreed, but in the spirit of the question, it is possible to do a minimalist turbo build even with a bit more boost.

Fuel pumps are known to be good for lots of boost. You could probably get away with running 5 psi with increased fuel pressure, especially if boost is ramped out at high RPM.

The intercooler could be replaced with water injection.

None of this is ideal, but it'd get you into the world of boost and you can always upgrade the setup later.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Would a 50 shot of nitrous scratch your itch? It'd be cheaper than a turbo setup I'm sure and would give you a small but significant bump. Although that bump would only be at WOT when the system is engaged and you might be looking for having more power not just at WOT.

·
Roll Damn Tide!
631 Posts
Would a 50 shot of nitrous scratch your itch? It'd be cheaper than a turbo setup I'm sure and would give you a small but significant bump. Although that bump would only be at WOT when the system is engaged and you might be looking for having more power not just at WOT.
^^ agree completely 5 psi turbo is wayyy more hassle than its worth.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah thats all true i was thinking the same i might just do a 50 shot since there isn't a lot of other modifications/engine work to do to this truck. Is a 50 shot safe to use will it cause any futue damages tho

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
First I think it would be a good idea to take it drags and run it as is so you know what your working with. The only thing I would be worried about is the fuel pressure. A 50 shot isn't much per say, but if the fuel pump is weak or marginal and can't get enough fuel to the cylinders with extra power it will start causing excessive wear on pistons/rings ect.

Other than that for just starting out with a 50 shot (and the motor already runs good) I wouldn't be worried. I'd read up on using nitrous and other stuff needed for when you up the power level. Cause everybody does and to easy not to.

& Get that trans cooler put in too, it will help it live. Don't forget to have fun. https://youtu.be/qMnmKEw8_rE

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Yeah thats all true i was thinking the same i might just do a 50 shot since there isn't a lot of other modifications/engine work to do to this truck. Is a 50 shot safe to use will it cause any futue damages tho
A 50 shot should not hurt your engine as long as you are spraying at the right time. There are plenty of safety items such as fuel pressure shut off switches, WOT switches, and window switches which will keep you from spraying at the wrong time. As a rule of thumb, you do not want to spray below 3k rpm and you want to cut the spray just before your rev limiter (which you shouldn't be hitting anyway). Change the rev limiter to spark cut as well.

You could run colder spark plugs but for a 50 shot I'm sure you'd be fine without them.

First I think it would be a good idea to take it drags and run it as is so you know what your working with. The only thing I would be worried about is the fuel pressure. A 50 shot isn't much per say, but if the fuel pump is weak or marginal and can't get enough fuel to the cylinders with extra power it will start causing excessive wear on pistons/rings ect.

Other than that for just starting out with a 50 shot (and the motor already runs good) I wouldn't be worried. I'd read up on using nitrous and other stuff needed for when you up the power level. Cause everybody does and to easy not to.

& Get that trans cooler put in too, it will help it live. Don't forget to have fun. https://youtu.be/qMnmKEw8_rE
I agree with the trans cooler. The more power you put through it, the more stress and heat.

On the note of fuel pressure, the OEM pumps in these trucks are able to handle up to like 350+whp? IIRC so a 50 shot would be no issue.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
There is nothing not a thing wrong with OEM fuel pumps!! Just got to watch them when you add the extra injector (aka nozzle) . They seem to be a weak link in most vehicles.

If the pump is more than a couple years old I'd really be watching and nfw would I try nitrous on an original pump. Know what I mean @ skizzo

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got my nitrous bottle going to install and dyno it and see how it goes thanks.

·
Who dat? Who dere?
333 Posts
you should put a thread on up it! i'd like to see how everything goes. good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts