Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought a new gauge cluster so I could put it in while I do my LED setup

however I noticed the bezel that goes around the gauge face was darker than mine, so I decided to switch them to show the stainless gauges off better

Before

Side By Side Before

Side By Side After

After

What ya guys think?

btw I did fins out for sure that the mileage is stored in the cluster

My truck has 46,000 miles on it and the new cluster when plugged in showed 23,000

Btw

anyone know what the heck the blue thing is on the back side of my factory gauges?

·
HO IT
2,153 Posts
The black was definitely the way to go, looks good.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Your mileage will update after you drive around for a while. The miles are stored in more than one place.

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
yeah definately better!!!!!

·
NW Surfrider
5,364 Posts
hey code...whatcha doing with the cluster when you get the other one back from doing LEDS?

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey code...whatcha doing with the cluster when you get the other one back from doing LEDS?
thinking of putting LEDs in it and selling it

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
btw I did fins out for sure that the mileage is stored in the cluster

My truck has 46,000 miles on it and the new cluster when plugged in showed 23,000
The trucks have an anti-rollback feature. You can put a cluster out of a lesser mileage truck into a higher mileage and it will update, but not vice-versa.

We've confirmed this with The Wolf's cluster.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
The trucks have an anti-rollback feature. You can put a cluster out of a lesser mileage truck into a higher mileage and it will update, but not vice-versa.

We've confirmed this with The Wolf's cluster.
Damn, so lets say I've got 60,000 miles and I install a cluster with 80,000. If I switched back to the old cluster would it go back to the original mileage?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Damn, so lets say I've got 60,000 miles and I install a cluster with 80,000. If I switched back to the old cluster would it go back to the original mileage?
In this case, the 80,000 miles will show up on your truck with the new cluster, but the mileage will stay at 80,000 until your "internal" mileage (if we can call it that) makes its way up there. Then and only then will it start to tally the mileage again.

Your old cluster had the 60,000 miles on it before hand, now let's say you have 80,200 miles, right? So the new cluster is working. If you were to go back to the original cluster, it'll show the 60,000 and will update to the new 80,200 miles.

Does that make sense? lol. It's sorta confusing, but that's how it works. We sorta had to learn the hard way. :ugh:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
No that makes no sense, but I'll take your word for it. :lmao:

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In this case, the 80,000 miles will show up on your truck with the new cluster, but the mileage will stay at 80,000 until your "internal" mileage (if we can call it that) makes its way up there. Then and only then will it start to tally the mileage again.

Your old cluster had the 60,000 miles on it before hand, now let's say you have 80,200 miles, right? So the new cluster is working. If you were to go back to the original cluster, it'll show the 60,000 and will update to the new 80,200 miles.

Does that make sense? lol. It's sorta confusing, but that's how it works. We sorta had to learn the hard way. :ugh:
A dealer could probably flash the cluster to reset it and then the ECU woudl update it

·
NW Surfrider
5,364 Posts
i was asking cause I want to get LEDS in a cluster. But I need my truck as a daily driver, I need to find a spare cluster.

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
runeblade do you have a auto or manual trans?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts