Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a snorkel mounted on there canyon/ colly? I remember seeing something on how the Aussie holden had a snorkel from ARB that would mount up but needed a little modding.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Go on ebay and type in Holden snorkle kit. You will have to get it shipped from over sea's though so I hope your not in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Our Expedition Team always made our own. Lowes has everything you need except the K&N filter. Can be made for about $30. 2" or 3" (black) abs (plastic) pipe and 4 to 6 stainless steel (painted black) hose clamps. For those serious about keeping water out, you'll need 3/8 clear plastic hose to vent your trans, front axle and rear axle all hooked together and routed along the outside of your snorkle with it's own small K&N vent filter.. Clear hose is better than the black hose because you can see when you have moisture in the hose, therefore a leak. We beat these snorkles in the thickest of the Central American jungles and they performed flawlessly. If you plan on making your own i can show you a pic of how to hide the aluminum rivets on the stainless clamps holding the snorkle tube. Showed Slickstevio this trick on his front shock reservoirs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our Expedition Team always made our own. Lowes has everything you need except the K&N filter. Can be made for about $30. 2" or 3" (black) abs (plastic) pipe and 4 to 6 stainless steel (painted black) hose clamps. For those serious about keeping water out, you'll need 3/8 clear plastic hose to vent your trans, front axle and rear axle all hooked together and routed along the outside of your snorkle with it's own small K&N vent filter.. Clear hose is better than the black hose because you can see when you have moisture in the hose, therefore a leak. We beat these snorkles in the thickest of the Central American jungles and they performed flawlessly. If you plan on making your own i can show you a pic of how to hide the aluminum rivets on the stainless clamps holding the snorkle tube. Showed Slickstevio this trick on his front shock reservoirs.
I was not aware that the Front and rear axles had vents on them. I could always go the hole cut in the fender and the flex tube way, but i wanted a more refined look. If you have any pictures of this type of build id like to see them.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I have one, not installed yet. Racer X and a few others have them. Our diffs do have vent tubes. I can't remember if the tcase does or not.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Peterson's 4 Wheel and Off-road magazine april 1998, waterproofing tips and tricks. And again in " BEST TRAIL RIDES AND TIPS Oct 18 1999. We even plumbed our power steering as well as our distributor cap to vent hoses. The atmosperic pressure in deep diving if not properly vented would blow the seals. And if your axle was hot and you began to ford cold water it would contract the cold water into the diff. Black marine sealant works the best in keeping water out. MSD makes vulcanizing tape to keep water out of the spark plug boots and spark guard (a die electric sealant) for inside the spark plug boots. We went as far as sealing our electrical relays with die- electric grease. On the principal if it's full (like a glass of grease) water can't get in. We also made a snorkle can for the heavy down pours associated with hurricanes. ??? To me it seems if it has fluid or air it needs to be plumbed. Here's a pic of the snorkle with can and small k&n vent filter.Rumble in the Jungle!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Make sure the purple cranium filters are washable and top notch. I still have 2 K&N RE-0810 PK Precharger filter wraps $10. a piece. And 2 of the RU-0150 PK $5. a piece. Diggin thru the Expedition stuff found these.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts