Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
My fuel gauge is way off

Sent from CRAPPY AutoGuide.com Free App
which fuel gauge? Your stock one or one of the readings on the ultra gauge? I too have an ultragauge and find it rather simple to understand but can still see how it would be confusing. If your "fuel level" gauge on the ultragauge is off it is because you need to set it everytime you put gas in the truck. There is an option that allows you to add a certain amount of gas or you can do a fuel fillup which puts it to the max you set it as.

This is the one gauge I don't understand why it is not automated like the rest but I can only guess it is because the fuel gauge uses an analog signal whereas the ultragauge is a digital device.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
RTFM = Read The Fuckin Manual.

Just fucking with you dude, go on there website, it should tell you.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I encourage you to get familiar with the gauge before you post a thought every time something new pops up to you.
How can your gauge be 'way' off? If it was so bad, wouldn't you have run out of gas by now with such false readings on the dash?

And what makes you say your gauge is way off anyway? How can you even tell.
BUT, to back up that statement more positively....think back to all of the fuel mileage threads who say "I used 1/2 tank and traveled 120 miles". How do they know they used 1/2 tank.

So please, get familiar with the gauge and how it operates. It should not be leaving you flustered. And answers are probably available in the enclosed documentation (however I can't remember that for sure). I do recall the web site being relatively useless though, no support there.

When you have exhausted your resources then maybe ask something about help. It seems that you look it, can't figure it out then post on here. And what you have posted so far isn't even something we can help with....in either of the 2 posts.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the fuel gauge is showing a full tank when it's not. I'm guessing it can't tell when you fill up.

I can't find out how to recalibrate it to my sure size.

And there's a abbreviation for every gauge. Example: miles per gallon-mpg. I want to know what they all stand for. I get some but not all.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Well the fuel gauge is showing a full tank when it's not. I'm guessing it can't tell when you fill up.

I can't find out how to recalibrate it to my sure size.

And there's a abbreviation for every gauge. Example: miles per gallon-mpg. I want to know what they all stand for. I get some but not all.

As I said in my post already; no the fuel gauge does not reset automatically. You must do it yourself. As for abbreviations there should be some in the manual/online.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
There is a smart sensor option. It's close I think...I don't know.

But the instructions do say how to use that. If you don't have the smart feature enabled, you have to either specify how many gallons you added, or tell it that it is full. I don't remember if you are to manually enter how many gallons the tank is though. It has been a while since I've gone through that.

I thought the abbreviations were outlined someplace. I enabled some features, but not blindly. I mean, I learned what the abbreviation was before enabling it.

The manual I believe describes show to calibrate for tire size. It's hidden in there someplace. And as I have previously mention (I think to you), it will not give you a tire size chart. You will need to compare the percentage different values against a true source, such as GPS.

If I have not already described this to you, let me know and I'll find the post I described it in so I don't have to write it out again.

You could go ask these guys:
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/UltraGauge_Forum/

Here are the available gauges:
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/TEN/gauges.htm

Other fun display features:
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/TEN/more.htm

Manual:
http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/support/UltraGauge_user_manuals.htm

I didn't want to link to all of the links from Ultragauge. I'm sure you can poke around.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I have that enabled on mine (2008). I set the audible indicator to alert me at 2 gallons of remaining fuel. I am alerted before I reach 1/4 tank remaining. LOL Usually only when braking or going down hills. Once the needle is below 1/4, I get the "you're going to be stranded in a minute" and "your tank is low" warning messages often.

Because I almost always fill up fully at my gas stops, I am tempted to set it back to manual. The only negative about manual is you have to press the button to alert the system that the tank is full.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Read the manual and the website and look for multi point calibration. It may be an option. Don't know for sure. A lot of digital gauges in my market (marine) have this. You have to tell the gauges how many gallons the fuel tank holds then it walks you through filling the tank 1/4 at a time until full. This would make it the most accurate. The problem is you may have to tell it each time how many gallons you put in it. (IMO this is stupid. Just make it auto calibrate after initial calibration.)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I'm not sure if there was a change in the computer system between our model years. It's possible - I know some changes have taken place, I think between 07 an 07, but I can't be sure if even then the fuel sensor would be different.

I don't know if that is meant to mean that you haven't looked through the menus or or if you have looked and didn't find an entry to enable.

I haven't been through the menu in a while, but it would either be in the configuration menu or a fuel menu.

I think the speedometer calibrating feature is in a configuration menu someplace too. That one is a little more tricky to find I think. Hard to remember, I set that well over a year ago, dare I say 2 years.
Remember though, it won't change the computer or the dash display. The change is only reflected in the Ultragauge display.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i just printed off this 57 page owners manual so i can mess with it in my truck instead of trying to remember what i read on the computer screen..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts