Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I would havebeen ok with that but was heavy cast iron. Returning to rockauto. Just going to get OBX. Just need $$ to be credited back. It is the holidays. Thanks.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I would havebeen ok with that but was heavy cast iron. Returning to rockauto. Just going to get OBX. Just need $$ to be credited back. It is the holidays. Thanks.
ah i see, interesting.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Updated some prices/products and replaced some images.

·
Don't like Crowds!
488 Posts
I just got a KPE in the mail today. I paid $679 on ebay. I think I am going to add a Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow muffler and K&N CAI. Then I will add the Supermod Ported Throttle Body and then I plan to do a Supermod remote tune.
My '09 3.7L is totally stock at the moment. Will these mods get a spark lit under my trucks azz?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Those mods and a :supermod: tune

Yup, burn outs for days!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2006 Colorado
12 Posts
Not exactly headers but better than stock manifold, so far. I got a direct fit Miller CAT exhaust manifold. My stock manifold cracked pretty bad. It's the only aftermarket manifold LEGAL in Cali. Will pass smog as it has those numbers and stuff engraved on the cat. It's on the air resources board website. Cost me about $550, I know....I wanted to get headers for cheaper than that but my sensibility kicked in. Dammit. I can get them later on anyway and switch back to legal when I need to smog or something. Only noticeable change is a smoother acceleration, but that could of been from me being used to the cracked exhaust. Hope this helps someone in Cali pass their stupid smog. I had to do my own research on this so I don't have all the answers but it's working and even looks better than oem. I've only had it for about a week now so not sure about it's longevity.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not sure if this is typical of OBX or not, but there is currently no 3.5/3.7 header available anywhere on eBay or Amazon. They've been gone for about a month and according to the site vendors they're not sure when they'll be available again. Anyone know if they do this every now and then or if they stopped producing them?

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Not sure if this is typical of OBX or not, but there is currently no 3.5/3.7 header available anywhere on eBay or Amazon. They've been gone for about a month and according to the site vendors they're not sure when they'll be available again. Anyone know if they do this every now and then or if they stopped producing them?
Haven't heard of that in the past so it is possible they stopped making them.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
I've had my OBX header on the truck for about 2 years now and I have no problems with passing emissions here in Maryland

·
Registered
133 Posts
Haven't heard of that in the past so it is possible they stopped making them.
Hard to tell with OBX's lousy customer service. No real telephone number or email to get answers from, and they haven't replied in over a month to the question I sent through their website.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i have a new unused magnaflow 4 cyl header with cat. bought it for my 2.8 LS when i seen they had cracking issues, mine never did but a tree bit my truck + it was totaled so my new header will go to the first $250 plus shipping from Pa

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
i have a new unused magnaflow 4 cyl header with cat. bought it for my 2.8 LS when i seen they had cracking issues, mine never did but a tree bit my truck + it was totaled so my new header will go to the first $250 plus shipping from Pa
You'll probably have better luck with a post in the for sale section.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Im about 10 years late in the game but who still sells Headers for the I5? Looking for one. Can be new or used.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
@atxjax ottp, kpe, orion, and JTR all still make headers I'm pretty sure.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
@atxjax keep an eye on the for sale section here and if you are on fb, check out the 355nation swap n shop group.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just got the JTR header last week and thought I'd give my initial impressions of it.
I have a 2006 2.8 5 Speed Regular Cab.
I got the ceramic coating option and paid $450. It took a little over two weeks to ship out so be prepared for a wait.
I'm a little suspicious that they just forgot to send it because after waiting 2 weeks for a shipping notice, I reached out to them and it was sent the next day.

After unboxing I was a little disappointed but maybe my expectations were too high.
The ceramic coating is only on the out side and there was slag everywhere:

This may be common but the welds were only on one side of the flange, my OBX header from my s10 was welded on both sides and was half the cost.
Also note more slag in every port:

The install was relatively easy. all 3 of the factory collector bolts snapped off so there was no going back at this point. The header did not come with any hardware so I had to get 3, 3/8x2" grade 8 bolts and nuts. Unfortunately the O2 sensor is welded at an angle where it perfectly hits the upper control arm mount. After some finagling I was able to get it bolted on, but the O2 is rubbing and the engine does move a little due to the engine mounts. I cant imagine this lasting long and the header will need to be removed to replace the O2 so that's a major bummer.

For the install I used new Felpro gaskets for the flange and collector. Power wise I would equate it to the difference between driving with the A/C on vs A/C off. It is noticeable.
Unfortunately the thin steel has a very raspy/hissing sound from the exhaust exiting the head causing oscillations/vibrations in the header itself. It sounds like a terrible leak but I can assure you there is none. I believe this is what everyone talks about from gutting their cat on the factory manifold. To me it sounded awful, like an air leak mixed with a high frequency buzzing. I removed the header and checked the gaskets for a leak but found no carbon buildup. I also sealed and pressurized the header to test for leaks and there were none. I reinstalled the header with new gaskets again with no change in the noise. I shoved a rag in the tailpipe to let pressure build while I was in the engine bay/underneath the truck and there were no signs or sounds of leaks at the gaskets.

As a last ditch effort to avoid buying a new manifold, I bought some exhaust wrap and gave it the ol' razzle dazzle.

Not pictured: after removing it the third time, the ceramic coating was burning off the downpipe around the collector and O2 sensor. A white chalky mess after about 300 miles of driving.
After installing it again, the hissing/buzzing noise is significantly reduced. You can still hear it slightly under load but it is tolerable (Also worth noting I have a fully sound proofed cab with Dynamat, MLV, and closed cell foam, this header was LOUD before the wrap). I would say the wrap reduced the noise about 60%.

I'm throwing a code for Catalytic Efficiency Bank 1 because I do have both cats removed, but I am getting my final tune from Lime-Swap so they will be tuned out but its something else to consider if you're thinking about getting a header and also have the rear cat removed.

Final impressions: I wouldn't do it again. There is a slight gain, but gutting your factory cat will do the same for free. The ceramic coating is not worth it from JTR (Sanderson actually makes the headers for them so this may not reflect on their other products quality). The O2 sensor is a design flaw, and lastly, it made it sound like a clapped out civic before wrapping it.
If you can get your factory manifold off without snapping the collector bolts then just gut the cat and wrap it while its off to reduce the noise. Or don't even bother since the $100 tune from Lime-Swap was a more noticeable power increase on top of a huge driveablitly increase.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been talking to Mesa Blackworks. I was told they stopped making the Orion header. I cannon find KPE anywhere. Looks like OBX, JTR & OTTP are the only options now. I spoke with a guy at JTR & they about two weeks out since each order is a new build. The group selling OTTP doesn't answer their phones.

Anyone have a good link for the KPE header??

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been talking to Mesa Blackworks. I was told they stopped making the Orion header. I cannon find KPE anywhere. Looks like OBX, JTR & OTTP are the only options now. I spoke with a guy at JTR & they about two weeks out since each order is a new build. The group selling OTTP doesn't answer their phones.

Anyone have a good link for the KPE header??
No link for the KPE header for you, but just to update on my JTR post from above, I've reached out to them about the O2 being in the wrong spot a few days ago and still no response. They were pretty responsive before I ordered so not sure whats going on there. I still stand by my closing statement that the performance gains are not worth the money though!

61 - 80 of 83 Posts