Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a second rear dif coming in a few weeks or so, and I plan on SOA'ing that axle and bolting it in with stock leafs and shackles. Im lifted around 5" in the rear at the moment ( 2.5" aal+2.5" shackles) and my driveshaft and brakelines are good to go.My driveshaft is probably close to the crossmember but welding in a notch shouldnt be a problem. Ive got two questions for when i switch to the new axle with SOA:

Am I going to need a longer driveshaft if my current set up is working?

If not, would I be able to get away with a stock driveshaft if I rigged up some kind of limiting strap for the rear dif?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll need it about 2 inches longer
but if im not gaining any lift from it (in theory) why would i need a longer shaft? or am i right on the edge of the output shaft already?

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
Soa will droop out much further. You could limit it but at that point why soa? You would likely have to limit at only a few inches of droop

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is true! I wasnt thinking about the added droop...:th_crazy:

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
You could prolly do some scavenging and find a junk yard replacement, I'm running a mid 90's suburban shaft that's 2" longer than stock and uses the same u joints. Not sure what vehicle to look at with a reg cab, maybe try some full size blazers

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I have my old one laying around if you want it. It's about 1-1.5" longer cause they had to take alittle off when the 14bolt went in.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have my old one laying around if you want it. It's about 1-1.5" longer cause they had to take alittle off when the 14bolt went in.
Ya man I'll take it! Would you mind getting a shipping quote to 13669?

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I'll be home on the 3rd. If you would remind me and I'll get you a quote. I think I still have the box my tom woods shaft came in. You would have to swap the ujoint to the stock colorado one. It has a mismatched joint for the 14bolt.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You could prolly do some scavenging and find a junk yard replacement, I'm running a mid 90's suburban shaft that's 2" longer than stock and uses the same u joints. Not sure what vehicle to look at with a reg cab, maybe try some full size blazers
undead, your only 2wd right? so your DS would be longer than mine cuz im 4WD. im thinking bout doing SOA once i get my hands on a rodeo axle. on average, how much does it cost to extend the DS.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My bill at the driveshaft shop was around $320, lengthened my stock shaft 2", rebalanced and 2 new ujoints in the rear and 1 up front. I brought the shafts out of the truck to reduce costs too

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just a added price of advice for the suburban driveshaft info. If it came out a 4x4 its basicicaly the same length as a crewcab 4x4 colly shaft. (I don't remember exactly but I know it wasn't more than a 1/2" longer or a 1/2" shorter) mine was $230 to lengthen 2.5" with new spicer greasaeble u joints

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
heres mine soa. im lifted about 5" in the front and around 6.5-7" in the rear, 32x11.5x15 BFG MTR's

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey Jeff.d do you have any pictures of your truck from the side on level pavement? I've been looking at lifts again, and have been thinking about doing an SOA. Almost no one has a regular cab, so for me to get an idea oh how a 4-6" lift would look has been difficult. I'm even thinking about 32s, but on 16s not 15s. And my trucks red. haha Your truck is the perfect example for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My crewcab had 5.5" of rear lift, (1.5" being a body lift) on 32s and it wasn't bad, in my opinion. Then again my truck was only a z85.

·
Registered
65 Posts
6 inches of lift on 32s don't look right. Too small
Jeff is about that on 32s and the truck looks fine in the pictures above. Though for me 33s aren't out of the question either, but turning 32s will be a whole lot easier with a I4. Lucky for me its also manual so I have much better control than the autotragic boxes. :D

Jack, I'm also a Z85.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ask and you shall receive! Went for a rip last night after work

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks! Mine looked similar when I showed up to my college graduation, I had gone off-roading the night before. :D

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I'm sorry Jeff I forgot about this thread and getting you a quote. $320 is rape for a lengthened shaft. You could of got a full custom one from tom woods for $300 shipped. Last time I had mine lengthened it was $100.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts