Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For 95% of my driving, I don't always find it necessary to down shift into a lower gear if I'm not really in need of some quick acceleration, so the heat shield on my AEM intake rattles like crazy against my hood when I'm in too high of a gear.

So I took the time to fab a quick little mount up this morning and bolted it on. It works beautifully!! The problem was that the heatshield had a lot of play in it at the front and thus it would vibrate endlessly once the engine would violently vibrate. With this new mount, the heatshield doesn't even move.

I tossed my prop rod and used that bolt to mount the bracket to the truck and a second short bolt to tie the heatshield and bracket together.

The following pictures should explain everything much better than I would be able to:

[EDIT]: To test it out, I'd tack 1st gear up until about 2500 RPM and immediately drop it into 3rd gear. The engine obviously shudders, but the heatshield doesn't even make a peep anymore. :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
nice job dude, i wish i thought about doin that. now my brace to the tube is broken from the vibrations

·
Registered
358 Posts
yea i already had my heat shield braces welded so now i just have to go back with my tube. the thing is itll look like shit and im afraid one of the people will burn a hole in the tube.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Just get a K&N, better design and no rattles lol.

jk

Well here's the thing, that intake mounts to the heatsheild for support and thats why it rattles so much, cuz the engine pulls on the tube and pulls on the heat sheild. The way i see it is the way you made that bracket Rudy, now the sheild has no give so now your tube is gonna take all the abuse since its the weakest link between your engine and heat sheild. Im thinkin stuff is gonna break like maybe the mount to the sheild and tube or perhaps the tube might pull out from the throttlebody?

I think the best think to do is to make a bracket how the FIPK is from the engine to the tube to support it and then you can remove the mount from the sheild to the tube and eliminate the vibration all together.

This reminds me of how some guys put a chain from the block to the frame because they keep breaking motor mounts on torquey engines.

·
Registered
358 Posts
yea after i get my brace welded im gonna try and fab somthing up. itll prolly end up more like a "rig" though lol

·
Registered
358 Posts
yea im not gonna spend the money on it but i am gonna rig mine like those are braced down

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just get a K&N, better design and no rattles lol.

jk

Well here's the thing, that intake mounts to the heatsheild for support and thats why it rattles so much, cuz the engine pulls on the tube and pulls on the heat sheild. The way i see it is the way you made that bracket Rudy, now the sheild has no give so now your tube is gonna take all the abuse since its the weakest link between your engine and heat sheild. Im thinkin stuff is gonna break like maybe the mount to the sheild and tube or perhaps the tube might pull out from the throttlebody?

I think the best think to do is to make a bracket how the FIPK is from the engine to the tube to support it and then you can remove the mount from the sheild to the tube and eliminate the vibration all together.

This reminds me of how some guys put a chain from the block to the frame because they keep breaking motor mounts on torquey engines.
I see what you mean.

Can you get me a good picture of how the K&N mounts to the engine? I remember seeing it, but I don't remember it too clearly.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the pic, you fuckin' douche.

LOL.

I'll see what I can come up with to go along those same lines. While I had my hood open today refilling the engine with oil, I figured that would be the best place to bolt the bracket.

I'm thinking I cut off the current mount which goes to the heatshield and weld it onto the tube near that same mounting hole. Should be pretty easy..............................

1 - 16 of 16 Posts