Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I've been lurking for a while but this is the first time I've needed help since I bought my truck.
(2007 3.7L 4X4 extended cab Canyon)

My cruise control has never worked since I got the truck, so after looking at everything else, I figured it was probably the switch in the steering column. So I ordered a new one and got it installed without too much difficulty.
There was an aftermarket remote start installed, and after talking to a friend (certified installer) I got it hooked into the new harness exactly as it had been on the old one. But now the truck doesn't want to start. No cranking. The lights, radio and wipers all work. Oddly the blower fan doesn't come on.
Everything is plugged in. I can't find any blown fuses.
Can anyone give me some idea for where to start looking? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Edit: On a whim I hit the start button on my fob and the truck started. But when I turned the key on and hit the brake to shift it shuts off.
Apparently I don't have 12V on the white/green ignition wire coming from the steering wheel end. I'll be investigating that tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Update. The connector going to the ignition switch was pinned incorrectly. In the old connector there was a blank hole at one end of the connector while in the new connector there was a blank hole in the other end. Whoever assembled the new unit shifted all wires one hole over. I was able to release all wires and move them over one location without destroying the connector. I got it all hooked back up and it started immediately.
Also, my cruise control now works.

Lesson learned: Examine all wires and plugs before installation to make sure they are the same as the old one.

Edit: Photos show the old connector vs the new one.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thanks for posting back with the fix . Moving wires like that is a challenge .How does stuff like that even happen ?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I did without cruise for years, but when the wipers stopped working, I replaced my multifunction switch too. I've discovered that if you don't plug in the wire that goes to the brake pedal, you can shift into gear without pressing the brake pedal. So, the "default" if that gizmo ever breaks is to just be able to shift without pressing the brake pedal! You would think a safety device would cause problems if it went bad! I first discovered this after arguing in a post with several people telling them that my truck didn't have that feature. Everyone insisted that all Colorado trucks had the "press brake to shift" feature. While still arguing my point, I was driving down the road one day and something fell down from under the dash and was dangling connected by a small wire. I had no idea what it was and where it was supposed to go, so I pulled over on the side of the road. I was scared to shut my truck off because I didn't know if it would start up again. I eventually disconnected the wire and used my phone to google some of the numbers on the part. It was the part that required you to press the brake to shift out of park. I wrapped the wire around some others under the dash and kept on going. Eventually, I put the part back where it is supposed to go, but the little ball and socket type of connection was worn out and it fell off again. I never took the time to order and replace the part. If I had young drivers that used my truck, I'm sure I'd replace it. I think it's basically just instinct to press the brake before shifting out of park, so it's never been a problem. I did have some apologizing to do on this forum though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts