Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2012 3LT with the 5.3. Right now I have the Valent cool air intake. A Supermod ported TB. I'm running the Doug T Headers and have a MBRP exhaust (that I have modified.) And I'm on like my 3rd tune. I'm planning on buying the FAST LSXRT™ 102MM TRUCK INTAKE MANIFOLD which I'd need to find a Big Throttle Body for this.

My question is. Does anyone know of a company or where I can go to get a throttle body to fit on my motor to connect to this new intake?

Also...

I know I'd need bigger fuel rails and a bigger fuel pump. And I'm also looking into getting bigger injectors and doing a cam swap. So does anyone have any ideas of what routes to take? This is the way I'd like to go. I've been saying it for a while now. Just need the help finding some of these things. Also who thinks I should go with what injectors and cam wise.

All help I can get would be nice. So I can price out everything and start saving more.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
unless your going to put a cam and hi flow heads on don't waste your money.
that intake is way to big for a 5.3 you can use a 90mm T/B from a LS3 Camaro.
you can find them on e-bay. I got a take off one for $150.00 you will need to
get your MAF recalibrated. the intake on our trucks happens to flow very good.
cam, what do you use the truck for ? street driving or racing ? do you do a lot
of Hwy cruising ? big cams need stall converters. trans coolers, trans mods.
your stock injectors are fine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
As said, the 102MM is going to be beyond overkill unless you're going for an aggressive heads/cam setup. You'll save a fortune just looking for a used LS6 intake manifold and going from there. Stock TB will fit as well, which means you can keep the one you got ported.

I'd put the money toward heads/cam over that 102 intake. LS6 intakes can be picked up used for about $300 any day.

As far as what cam/injectors/etc., what are your goals for the truck? How fast do you want to go, and how deep are your pockets? I can recommend a ridiculously pricey build, and budget friendly build, and a lot of stuff in between.

Personally, if I owned a 5.3 equipped Colorado/Canyon, I'd go headers/heads/blower cam and put a Maggie (supercharger) on it and shoot for about 450-500 rwhp. I'm a huge fan of those blowers though.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use my truck for everyday use. I just want more of a beefy muscle sounding truck with some power. My pockets aren't that deep at all. I'm just looking at my options to see how much I should save up. So if there are a few options. I'd like to look over them. I'm trying to do more of an all motor project... At first I was looking at superchargering. But I wanna take this motor slowly to the next level without a supercharger or turbo. I have fun on the roads and I'm not a "street racer" but I do enjoy the occasional fun and shows.

·
Nation's Troll
2,082 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the intake manifold. They handle more power than you're going to see.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't worry about the intake manifold. They handle more power than you're going to see.

One of the reasons why I was interested in getting the I take was bc it bolts onto the 5.3 and when I ever decide to put a 6.0 swap in. I can unbolt it and slap it on the 6.0. Future thinking. But I do appreciate the help. I guess cams and heads should be the next step then? Maybe injectors?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Start small. Do the headers/exhaust and get it tuned. See how you like that sound. I can tell you that headers/exhaust give most people the sound they are going for. If you're trying to keep this truck reliable, fewer mods are always a good idea (at the very least, don't have a cam with an aggressive lift, which wears out the springs too quickly).

A good starting point on a 5.3, in my opinion, would be the LS6 intake, headers, catback exhaust, and a good tune.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Start small. Do the headers/exhaust and get it tuned. See how you like that sound. I can tell you that headers/exhaust give most people the sound they are going for. If you're trying to keep this truck reliable, fewer mods are always a good idea (at the very least, don't have a cam with an aggressive lift, which wears out the springs too quickly).

A good starting point on a 5.3, in my opinion, would be the LS6 intake, headers, catback exhaust, and a good tune.

I did that already. I stated that above. I have the cool air intake. Ported TB. Headers. And custom MBRP exhaust. Also have a tune. I want more of a muscle sounding drone now. Like from the front of the truck. Not so much through the exhaust. I like how my truck sounds now. I love it. But I won't more in the front end I guess you can say and also wanna improve performance.

·
Nation's Troll
2,082 Posts
The tb was a waste of money.

Get a cam spec'd and go from there.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Why an ls6 intake?
LS6 is a good performance upgrade at a budget-friendly price. There are better options out there, but whenever the word "budget" is thrown into the mix, I usually suggest the LS6.

I did that already. I stated that above. I have the cool air intake. Ported TB. Headers. And custom MBRP exhaust. Also have a tune. I want more of a muscle sounding drone now. Like from the front of the truck. Not so much through the exhaust. I like how my truck sounds now. I love it. But I won't more in the front end I guess you can say and also wanna improve performance.
Forgot you have the headers/tune already - I've got too many threads bouncing around in my head and am getting them confused. It sounds like you're looking for the lopey cam sound. I'd talk to your tuner about your goals and have them recommend a cam.

·
tinja nurtles
11,837 Posts
LS6 is a good performance upgrade at a budget-friendly price. There are better options out there, but whenever the word "budget" is thrown into the mix, I usually suggest the LS6.

Forgot you have the headers/tune already - I've got too many threads bouncing around in my head and am getting them confused. It sounds like you're looking for the lopey cam sound. I'd talk to your tuner about your goals and have them recommend a cam.

The problem is people think they are gold and want $400-$450+ for them

And from what I remember gains from his already "tbss" style are minimal

·
Registered
94 Posts
If your budget minded, Why not port out the factory intake?

·
Registered
220 Posts
The problem is people think they are gold and want $400-$450+ for them

And from what I remember gains from his already "tbss" style are minimal
I do agree that people do think they are made of gold, but you can pick them up all day long for $300 on LS1 Tech.

I have no idea about the gains from switching to it over the stock truck manifold. I just know the LS6 is the go-to intake for the LS1, which is VERY similar to the 5.3.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Im going to email callaway. I live right next to their Connecticut facility and they literally have a shelf of R&D heads that he said they would sell for very cheap. Id like to see what their very cheap heads are.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts